PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
What do you consider a short smoke? What pipe and size do you use. How do you pack it?
Sometimes I take a short smoke of 15-20 min. I generally use a cob but I do also use a dunhill size 3 shell or my dunhill size 3 county. It is generally a loose packed ribbon cut like Q1 or Norway Pipe cut. In the evening for a short smoke I like a English blend. I pack it pretty loose and generally puff quickly.
Just curious if any of you ever do this.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know anything about group sizes I have a Dunhill cumberland 5120 I assume that is a group 5 but it doesn't seem big. I have a Washington MM corn cob I smoke latakia blends in and it last about 1.5 hours.

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
I can't seem to get any of my three pipes to smoke longer than 20 minutes... though I have no idea how you would classify their bowl size.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For a really shot smoke, 10 minutes or so, I'll turn to one of my smaller pipes. One of my favorites is a tiny Comoy's Old Bruyere that's probably about a group .75. It's tiny! I also occasionally use one of my smaller Barlings, a wonderful 3109 billiard. I don't do anything special with regard to packing that differs from a more commodius bowl.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Short smoke does not exist for me. 45 minutes would be the shortest smoke I'll get out of a small bowl (3/4" wide X 1" deep). If I smoke any faster then that, I'd burn the crap out of my tounge.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If I just want a short smoke I go for a group 3(Dunhill) size or fill a group 4 or small group 5 halfway. A cob if I am in a hurry. I don't pack any looser or tighter than normal. I feel that would compromise the smoke as most of my pipes have a more open(5/32nd draft hole) draw.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An average MM cob, not the minis or the Mizzou, is a Group 3 size. A little larger and deeper gets you to four.

And a bowl two inches deep inside and at least 3/4" across inside gets you to five. These Groups are really rough.

Also, a tobacco cut small, and some types of tobacco, can burn a long time in a small bowl like a cob, or a

not-large bulldog or Rhodesian. So-called compact pipes and pocket pipes are usually Group 2 or 3, and will

provide a quick smoke of ten to twenty minutes with a fine-cut somewhat dry tobacco. Boy, all this is haphazard,

but might give you an idea. Pipes, tobaccos, and smokers vary so much, the length of smoke is really between you

and your pipes, but this gives a sort of half-fast idea. I'm someone who puts down a pipe to do some work and

re-lights, so a big pipe can last for hours, but not continuously.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've got a couple of small cobs (a Missou and a Pony Express) that I can do short smokes in - but most of my pipes have larger bowls, and now that I'm learning to sip, I'm going well over an hour for a single bowl. My tongue is much happier.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
A short smoke for me is about 30 mins. I rarely bother to smoke if I don't have at least that much time. I have several small bowl pipes for that purpose (my smallest being my 1910 Sommer Meer).
meer-pipe-side-600x413.jpg

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I thought I'd half pack my pipe yesterday and have a short smoke. I felt rushed and didn't enjoy it so set a rule for myself and that is; If I have a time limit then I won't smoke.
That being said my middle to large sized pipe half packed worked fine and would suffice if I enjoyed that sort of thing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I get anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours from my group 4-5 sized pipes and I always pack them pretty firmly and it is always a flake. I have one group 6 pipe and that one last a good 2.5 hours. I have plenty of free time so no need to have a short smoke.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
cosmicfolklore asked: " is it OK to smoke a meerschaum pipe after Labor Day?
I never do ...
but, I don't smoke 'em any other time either ... I know, I know, a lot of guys love meerschaum pipes, but I'm just not one of them ... to my taste, they impart a dry, almost dusty taste to tobacco that I really like when smoked in a briar ...

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I have two Dunhill size 2 pipes and two others that are even smaller, (size 1 ?). I still seem to get twenty min. to a half hour smoke from these small pipes. They are good for a short walk with my dog. On a side note, my larger pipes seem to smoke better with few relights.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I often take my Sav Kings Cross to work for a quick smoke. It will generally last 15-20 minutes depending on the tabacco and wind. It usually piques interest because of its small size. :puffy:

Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis
I have a tiny bent (imagine a small peterson system) Nestor ladies pipe that is perfect for a smoke break. Picked it up at an antique store for $4 and refurbished it. The cake was so thick you could not stick a pencil into the bowl so I am not sure how much tobacco that previous owner was able to load....not much for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.