PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I've read a lot of good things about Wessex tobacco online and I'm tempted to try some. Unfortunately, this brand for some weird reason seems not to be available in Germany (where I am located), which is kind of absurd because the tin descriptions say, that these tobaccos are made in Germany.

So my suspicion is, that these blends are maybe sold here under another brand name. Is this the case, or are these supposedly German tobaccos simply not available in their country of origin?

Thanks!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo bur

It's not uncommon for brands being made explicitly for export markets to be unavailable in the home country of manufacture. Witness the (un)availability of the fabled Esoterica in Jersey, or for that matter, the entire U.K. However, some detective work may determine that some of your unavailable Wessexes are similar to or even the same as blends under other labels.

hp
les

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Strange. I can't find it on any German internet retailer websites. It is made by K&K, in Germany.

Seems Wessex tobacco is US only? Can't find it on any UK sites either.

As far as I know the Campaign Dark Flake and Gold Brick (their best two blends in my opinion) don't have a rebranded counterpart.

Proxy buy?

Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks for your answers, fellows! I haven't found anything either...

So far it seems like buying from foreign sites, is the only option... I'll keep the Gold Brick and Campaign Dark in mind for my next US order.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a big fan of Wessex blends with Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and Brown Flake being my 2 favorites. I also have some Gold Virginia Flake, Gold Slice and Gold Brick in my cellar.

From what I have read over at tobaccoreviews.com, some blends are made by K&K and others are allegedly blended by Wessex themselves. Since I began buying Wessex in 2012 I have never heard of them being made under another name.

Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
If one happens to be visiting Russia they got them all Wessex offerings available at 15 euro per tin, as far as this fine Wessex Burley Flake goes I'm preferring The Solani Aged Burley Flakes over it,a bit bolder in taste shall I say

That's quite pricey. I just think the absurd thing about those Wessexes is, that they seem to be made in Germany but not available here... But that's how the cookie crumbles. Thanks for the tip of the Solani Burley, which is as far as I know also made by K&K. I'll give that one a try on occasion.

Reactions: 3rdguy
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
That's quite pricey. I just think the absurd thing about those Wessexes is, that they seem to be made in Germany but not available here... But that's how the cookie crumbles. Thanks for the tip of the Solani Burley, which is as far as I know also made by K&K. I'll give that one a try on occasion.
Yes Sir, quite pricey thanks to added import duties &Taxes, while the Wessex Burley flake is a fine tobacco on its own,the Solani Burley flake is even better, nonetheless due to its relatively bold taste and strength the Wessex B might be a better option for those looking for an all-day' tobacco

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Just an update on this - I had asked K&K via email, if they make the Wessex tobaccos and they did affirm my question. Though my question, if they could name some alternative blends available in Germany remained unanswered.

I would email K&K and ask. I believe they make them.

Reactions: 3rdguy
Status
Not open for further replies.