Shelby Foote's Civil War Trilogy...Any Good?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Jay,
To your question about American politics, Foote's work is not a political treatise. In fact, it does not delve into the causes of the war very deeply. The political situation of the time is complex and still hotly debated today. While the contemporary politics certainly drove the nation over the brink, a firm grasp is not necessary to understanding the war itself. In fact, I believe the politics and military happenings comprise two very different facets of the same event. Once you complete your journey with Shelby Foote, you may want to study up on the politics of the period or work on a more detailed account of the war. If so, sing out or send me a PM and I will provide some suggestions for your next volumes.
Regarding the book, the "Fort Sumter to Perryville" sub-title refers to the time span covered by the book. The opening fight of the war was at Fort Sumter, in Charleston harbor, on April 12, 1861. The battle of Perryville was fought October 2, 1862, near Perryville, Kentucky, about 50 miles (81km) southwest of Lexington, Ky.
As an aside, while you wait for your book to make its journey, you might read Winston Churchill's account of the war. It appears in his "History of the English Speaking Peoples." In my edition of that work, the portion devoted to the American Civil War is in Volume IV: "The Great Democracies, Book XI The Great Republic." It is a brief but lively chronicle and will give you some beginnings to work from.
Hope that provides some clarity. :)
Cheers,
Chili

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
When it comes to biased, there is no more iconic film production than Burns' "Civil War" and everything ever published by Bruce Catton.
Cheers,
Chili

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Aside/ Watching the Youtube "treatise" on smoking, it was said that after some battles, Union and Confederate soldiers would gather on the battlefield to swap supplies: Coffee from the Northerners and tobacco from the Southerners.
Thought you should know, and hey! It's doubly on topic.
Enjoy your read, Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Jay: Many still fight the war and it is a very emotional subject. The key is to read books which conflict and then try to "sleuth the truth", separating fact from emotional perception. It's not easy. Even books on specific battles are filled with emotional, deductions based on how the author views the principals.
If one grew up listening to the heroics of the Confederacy, Catton is indeed an eye opener in his books. Catton is to the war, what Foote is too the war with regard to publications. Again he is writing a books to sell, as did Foote, not objective dissertations. Reading both will provide balance should balance be sought.
Most people delve into the War with very, very deep seated biases. They have grown up with family lore and school textbooks which are heavily biased to the regional beliefs where they are used. It was, after all, a civil war and those are forever refought by the descendants. Only after, perhaps another hundred years have passed will the war be discussed with any considered objectively.
Is there a "War of the Roses" definitive, objective tome yet? How many years has it been since that war was fought.
It really is too soon to expect wholly objective tomes on a subject which, for many, happened only yesterday.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
++++1 What Warren said
I use him in my class when I teach the US Civil War. I have a three-month unit on it in my two-year long IB History of the Americas course. As a life-long Northerner, Foote humanized the people of South for me and helped me better understand the ideological divide/conflict on both sides.
~also~ for early American History,

Check out Jane Calvert's writings on John Dickinson. He is one of the most misunderstood and under-appreciated of our founding fathers.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jay,
I think what everyone is telling you is that these books are magnificent, and will provide enough background along the way for you to understand the issues and events. I second the recommendation regarding Bruce Catton; I have a special fondness for his book Grant Moves South. It’s built around one of the seminal (and most moving) events in the entire war.
The literature on the American Civil War is endless, but Foote is a fantastic place to begin.
Enjoy!

Jon

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
The Ken Burns documentary is good, but understand Ken Burns is pretty biased, although it doesn't show up nearly as much as in his subsequent documentaries. He also tends to mix legend with fact, such as the often repeated nonsense that Stonewall Jackson "constantly sucked on lemons". There's a handful of things like that mixed in.
As for movies, Gods and Generals is maybe the most historically accurate movie, although the speeches can get tedious. Also, Glory - a 1989 movie - is a hidden gem, and one of the best Civil War movies out there.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Gods and Generals. I wanted to watch that one some time ago. The reviews threw me off, as I got the impression it was boring, and my fiancée has only so much patience with what I call "good movies". Maybe I should watch it alone with a pipe (or two) and save her the bore.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I'm about halfway through the trilogy and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's written more like listening to a story than a dry monotone historical account. It's easy enough to follow, Jay, as the politics and history are covered as they apply to the narrative. I very much recommend it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many thanks again one and all, you have been most helpful. Chili, you saying that politics feature little in the series pleases me no end.....not my favourite subject by far. Incidentally, your mention of Winston Churchill's 'History of the English Speaking Peoples' and its references to the current topic has forced my arm into ordering the set. Something I've been meaning to do for some while.
"The key is to read books which conflict and then try to "sleuth the truth", separating fact from emotional perception."
Warren, that is pretty much how I approach most subjects by which I mean I may read three or four different accounts of a given subject just to get as many perspectives as I can then decide for myself how things actually were.
"Is there a "War of the Roses" definitive, objective tome yet?"
Indeed there is Warren, the fifteen volume 'Oxford History Of England' has a single volume dealing with that very topic. I am the proud owner of a mint set of these classic tomes and believe me, the quality of research and writing is second to none.
So folks, I'm rather glad I came here to make my query, I've not read one discouraging remark regards Foote's magnum opus so await the arrival of the first volume with glee.
Regards,
Jay.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
foote_shelby02_body.jpg

Need we say more? :puffy:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Gods and Generals. I wanted to watch that one some time ago. The reviews threw me off, as I got the impression it was boring, and my fiancée has only so much patience with what I call "good movies". Maybe I should watch it alone with a pipe (or two) and save her the bore.
Yeah, it's pretty boring at times. There's lots of speeches, and they get tedious, especially in some of the contrived southern accents on display. One speech is so bad, it's unintentionally funny.
I really liked it overall though. It was very historically accurate, especially regarding Stonewall Jackson. Many of his lines are direct quotes from historical documents. Plus they didn't try to make him out to be an eccentric or fanatic, which is usually the case because of all the "legends" surrounding him.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Regarding fake southern accents, I probably can't tell the difference between real or fake, so I guess I'll watch it. I guess I'm going to try and get my hands on these books as well. That's how good this thread is. Damn history book acquisition enablers!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Regards Foote's Southern accent I went to YouTube and had a listen myself. It wasn't at all as I expected. Having listened to forum member Duane (aka Chasingembers) on YouTube who most definitely speaks with a Southern drawl, I didn't quite detect it with Foote......but there we go.
Anyway, as I await the super slow delivery of my volume one from Chicago, I tonight started "The Age Of Gold: The Story of an Obsession That Swept the World" which is a history of the gold rush in California in the 1840's by a chap called H. W. Brands. Only read the preface thus far but it looks to be an interesting if lengthy (560 pages) read. Anyone here read that?
Having read oodles about early English history I'm finding it very refreshing to read the same but of American history. This is a subject that was pretty much skimmed over when I was at school and at age 56 I've an awful lot of catching up to do and thus far I've thoroughly enjoyed the journey, oftentimes guided by responses and recommendations on this forum to my sometimes clueless queries......and for that I am hugely grateful :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have read a book by that name. Not sure of the author. It is interesting to someone who is a Californian. I live in the "Gold Country" so it is a local that I am familiar with. "Death Valley in 49" is another interesting history also.
:puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.