PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know this product. I'd guess they are about like standard 6 mm and 9 mm filters which are usually good for two or three quality smokes, and a few more of declining quality that are not worth it to me. Though this product may have a different profile. Trial and error should reveal the truth.

Most pipes designed for filtering features smoke quite well without them, with the exception of Falcon "moisture rings," which are easily homemade with small lengths of pipe cleaner made into a ring, to catch the moisture at the bottom of the bowl, and are needed (in my opinion).

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Bowl filters are a different species. They do promote a drier smoke.

I do have another motive though. Just got a Tomas Spanu Lemon wood pipe. The life span of non briars (olive, lemon, hickory) is reported to be briefer. It would make sense that a bowl filter could be of benefit with pipe life.

Also I am profoundly anti gurgle.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was gifted a few by Dave (@Ahi Ka) to try out in my meers (in place of the traditional pierced silver tuppence)

I was intrigued enough to try them out in my briars as well. I don't often have time to dry out my tobacco sufficiently (too little fore thought and too much impatience). I fine they result in a drier smoke and to reduce gurgles.

I reuse them until they turn black.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I use the meerschaum equivalent. I imagine I’ll get a couple dozen bowls out of one, if not more. When i started smoking a pipe a decade or so back I used the chalk ones made by sharrow and I found them good for half a dozen bowls or so.

Anyways where’s bulletproof and his pharrow shitpads joke?

Jun 25, 2021
England
My opinion is that it's better to work on one's technique, so that one does not produce any moisture and no gurgling.
I used to to produce a lot of moisture and gurgling, and then I got fed up with it, gave the matter some thought, worked on my technique, and for the last 11 years no moisture or gurgling at all in any pipe - bent, badly drilled or whatever.
So it can be done.

Reactions: OzPiper

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’m getting four or five bowls out of one philtpad. I really like them and not only because the Sharrow Snuffmill is just down the road from me either. The only down side I can see is the space that they take up in the bowl but then I rarely smoke all the way to heel anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

I’ve even put these into 9mm filter pipes and Falcons which, no doubt, will draw some fire from others on here for being overkill but whatever makes you happy I reckon.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Oftentimes, a larger bowl is likely to generate more moisture as you smoke it, regardless of your level of expertise. The Sharrow Philtpads work great as a resolution for this problem, and can be used in a variety of pipes wherever excess moisture is an issue, not only for gurgle, but for that sudden droplet of foul taste that collects in the tenon and occasionally hits the tongue. They do a great job of absorbing excess moisture, and don’t affect the taste of the tobacco. When they turn dark ( every 5 smokes or so,) toss them away and put in a new one. They only cost about 5-10¢ apiece, and are definitely worth it. How do they work their magic? Simple. They’re fashioned out of calcium carbonate—aka plain, garden variety blackboard chalk, a first-rate absorbent. (Also known as “TUMS” in the pharmaceutical field.) Totally flavor neutral in your pipe. The only problem is they’re not sold in the USA at present. Not sure why, but there it is. I got my last supply from the UK, and even factoring in the shipping, they came out darned cheap. Another great filtering absorbent is activated charcoal, which you can get in the aquarium supply section at any pet store. It’s the same stuff they put inside the 6 or 9 mm pipe filters. Just put a few at the bottom of your bowl, and again, they do a great job of absorbing undesirable liquids while being entirely flavor neutral. (that’s why they put it inside Savinelli filters.) And they’re amazingly cheap. A small jar will last you for quite some time. Hope you and others find this info helpful.

• Love