Not open for further replies.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
@deathmetal - I have some killer Lawrence Welk I'd be happy to send you. :wink:

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I also want to thank Cosmic. Even though I donated the tin, Cosmic was kind enough to pay for the international shipping, and is using his time and money to send samples to a lucky select few. None of this would have been possible without him. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Quint and Cosmic:
What a wonderfully generous act for you guys to do!
And, Quint? Your avatar of Robert Shaw is just swell. When he died 1978, we lost one of the ten greatest actors in the English speaking world. Shaw made a number of trash films after the drink bested him, but goddamn, in his better days, he was always on point.
Fnord

I weighed out the samples and packed them up on Saturday, and then realized by 5PM, that the post office would be closed on Monday. So, it's all setting in the Post office box just inside the door of the PO, waiting to run on Tuesday. So, keep an eye out for an envelope from Cosmic Folklore... except the ones going to Texas. If you Texan would post letting me know that the Texas PO's are all running regularly, I will drop your's ASAP. I just didn't want them setting in a wet or hot truck for longer than needed.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Cosmic/Quint -- you guys rock the generosity scale upwards! This is a blend that sounds very interesting. Look forward to reading the observations of the forum members in this thread.

I cracked a rib last week, the day after this started. I was breaking up two teenagers in a fight just outside of our debate team meeting room, blah blah blah, I am not as young as I thought... but long story short, I am saving my sample till after you guys start posting. I am on a pipe break till it doesn't hurt to breath, or doesn't hurt as much. So, I am maybe more excited than you guys at seeing reviews.

A special thanks to my youngest daughter for addressing these for you guys.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
That sucks, @Cosmic - sounds like a fierce debate! Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow. I'm expecting way too much tobacco this week, but will definitely prioritize this to at least get a "first impressions" review up.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was breaking up two teenagers in a fight just outside of our debate team meeting room
Sounds like our debate team. Ouch! Get well soon... and make those little brats do some research.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No, it is not, I am sad to say. Things are at about 50% and we are hoping for the waters to recede. My guess is that next week will be "return of normalcy" time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thank you. We are hoping for the next few days to consist of water levels lowering... it's at about 4-6" per day right now, and it would be great if it kept that pace, because then we could get back to functional stuff, instead of just waiting and hoping that the city makes it happen.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I received my sample in the mail day before yesterday. I was outside sipping on some Condor, when I suddenly realized I hadn't checked the mail and remembered this was to be coming. There it was from Cosmic Folklore. A generous sample was sent and I was eager to try the blend that only is available in Japan. Dunhill to boot. Upon opening the little packet I noted the familiar smell of Virginia. There may have been more there but I am not very astute to smells and tastes as others are, so that is the only thing I smelled, and it was just familiar, not strong, but a mild smell of Virginia.
It is in a ribbon form, but I like to rub out even the ribbons to make it more uniform and to pack more easily in the pipe with a little bit better even burn. Also, it seems to open up the essences a little more in the tobacco, to me. As I expected from the mild smell, the taste was also that of a mild Virginia to my palette. Now, I'm not able to describe tastes like Jiminks or Pipestud, etc. etc. Plus my taste buds just are not that sophisticated. Maybe it was because I had been tasting some Condor not too long before, but all I can say about this one's taste is that it was a pleasant, mild Virginia that did not bite, seemed to burn well, and could easily be an all day smoke, if one was such inclined. I would not be as I tend to prefer stronger blends and I like to change it up.
In conclusion, I appreciate both Quint and Michael for making it possible to sample this Dunhill blend that is not available here in the U.S. I personally am not sorry it isn't available as I believe there are several other mild Virginia blends that are comparable in taste. It wasn't by any means bad, just very weak and subdued for my taste at this time. Hopefully, more here will be able to give some added subtleties which I have missed. But, I was glad for the experience. Tally forth!
David in Texas

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Dave, thanks for your review and your honesty. Did you try drying it a lot before smoking? I find it much more pleasant if very dry but still pliable.
I realize smokers in the States are fortunate enough to have easy and affordable access to many more tobacco blends than the rest of us, and that certain other blends may closely resemble Ultra Mild. So if you weren't crazy about it, no problem. I'm just happy you had the chance to try it before it's gone.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sorry to hear about your ribs! I'm still waiting for the part where you send out samples of your Cosmic tampers... :wink:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Gonna see I've mine has arrived but won't get home till tonight. Cleaned up a Sav bulldog just for the taste test.

Status
Not open for further replies.