PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I have a pipe whose shank was drilled crooked, probably by someone attempting a repair. The stem may be original, but fits poorly.

Plugging and redrilling the shank will be simple from a woodworking perspective, but I'm concerned about the wood variety and the adhesive. I can make a plug/dowel from Briar, but would any available hardwood work as well? As for the adhesive, hide glue will probably stink when it warms up, and regular wood glues might soften. What about CA? Will it gas off when hot, if already cured?

Any other helpful info on redrilling a shank? Perhaps a better treatment would be to overbore and fit a new tenon on the stem?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm lazy. I'd just buy another pipe. But that does sound like an interesting project. CA is inert when fully cured, one reason why it's used for some pipe repair. Stick with briar for your dowel. At least you know it won't poison you. You could open up the airway a bit more and use surgical grade stainless steel tubing to line it, which would result in a perfectly smooth airway.

But how "off" is this drilling? If the pipe works as a pipe, what more do you need? People love Peterson's and some of those were drilled like the carver was aiming for the pipe on the next bench over.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm lazy. I'd just buy another pipe. But that does sound like an interesting project. CA is inert when fully cured, one reason why it's used for some pipe repair. Stick with briar for your dowel. At least you know it won't poison you. You could open up the airway a bit more and use surgical grade stainless steel tubing to line it, which would result in a perfectly smooth airway.

But how "off" is this drilling? If the pipe works as a pipe, what more do you need? People love Peterson's and some of those were drilled like the carver was aiming for the pipe on the next bench over.
The pipe is worthless, but I like to tinker, and this will be good practice for a later pipe that I may care about. The SS tubing's an interesting idea. I think I will try that.

As for how far off, the stem is visibly crooked, and doesn't seat squarely against the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.