PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I've seen really nice pipe on the bay. A model I would very much want to buy. Problem is it's a 9mm filter pipe. I don't smoke filers. Should I pull the trigger, smoke it with adapter or without other rather keep away from it? What would you do?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I have plenty of filter pipes..love I smoke with and others without...I say if you like the looks and the price is right...then buy that baby!!

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
+1
I have a few filter pipes and I don't use a filter or an adaptor in them. They smoke just fine. I say go for it if the pipe is calling to you.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
9mm or corn cop... Why we need the filter. I never use them. Only thing difference is easier draw.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I often smoke 6mm filter pipes with adaptors. I think filter pipes often smoke well without adaptors or filters, but they do have a rather open draw in some cases. Find what works for you.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Whatever floats your boat, brother. I do not like (9mm) filtered pipes, with or without the filter. Some people swear by them and smoke prefer a filtered pipe. Some people also like to smoke them without the filters. I am not one of those people, as i don't like to deal with the mess and extra expenditure of the filters and find the draw way too open without the filter. In fact, i have a few 9mm filtered pipes i have been meaning to put up for sale, as they don't get much use for obvious reasons. Either way, if the pipe is not too expensive it might be good to buy the pipe and try the filtered route to see if you like it. If not, you can always sell the pipe and make (at least some of) your money back.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Thomas, I say if you like that pipe, don't let the filter part hold you back. If the draw isn't what you want then you can add an adapter to close it up some. I too like others have filter pipes and don't use the filters or adapters. Only three of my pipes have adapters and it was because they came with it. I didn't notice a difference myself with or without the filter.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Funny you should ask. I just got a Rattray 9mm Dune in the mail today, my first. It didn't come with a filter, and that's ok, I would have tossed it anyway.
I smoked it twice already. It smokes ok, but it is impossible to run a pipe cleaner through unless you get lucky and it glides perfectly across the 9mm empty chamber into the stummel draught hole.
I'm not a fan of filters and the pipe cleaner issue is a deal breaker for me. I may keep this one, but I won't buy another.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I recently was gifted a 9mm pipe by a great member of this forum and it smokes beautiful. Highly revoked 9mm format

Mar 1, 2014
Really the shape of the mortise on a filter pipe is no different from a spigot stem pipe, people don't complain about those so 9mm pipes without the filter will be fine.
The Vauen 9mm filters are crazy restrictive if you actually try to use them. They're ok if you pull them apart and take out half the carbon pellets, but for the most part I suggest using a small bit of coiled up pipe cleaner, or even just a piece with a zig-zag bend (which probably works better for Cobs with the longer filter space). The important thing is that it doesn't get sucked into the airway, so unfortunately you can't just clip to size and stick random size sections in, it need a bit of friction.

My other strategy is to use aquarium carbon pellets in the bowl to prevent bits of tobacco from reaching my mouth, but for the most part lately I've just been giving it a good draw test somewhere that I can spit before I sit down and light.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't know if it's my sordid past with Copenhagen or what, but when I do the draw test I kind of like the little tasty bits of Lat I sometimes get... :crazy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I love my 9mm Peterson, I use a bent up pipe cleaner as the filter and I find it's one of the best dry smokers I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.