Shag Cut, Why Don’t We See It More Often?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I guess also as members have said, shag cuts might do better in wet and humid climates, where a little assistance in burning is needed. A thick flake or plug might take forever to dry in a place with some heavy constant rain or humidity.

Also I think shag cuts are somewhat out of fashion because the average everyday working man doesn't smoke a pipe nowadays. Pipe is more of a leisure activity and there is less need(or want) for a quick smoke during the day.

I like shag or thin cuts in my tavern clay, as the "quick to get hot, quick to cool down" nature of the tobacco pairs well with the thinner clay, which does the same.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Germain's blended shag cuts are a joy to smoke. No drying or faffing about. Just pack and smoke.
Not that I don't enjoy cutting plug or rubbing out flake etc. It's just sometimes I wanna just pack and smoke with no arsing about.

I'm guessing the Esoterica shag cuts are the same sort of thing as Germain's own name stuff?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The Germain's blended shag cuts are a joy to smoke. No drying or faffing about. Just pack and smoke.
Not that I don't enjoy cutting plug or rubbing out flake etc. It's just sometimes I wanna just pack and smoke with no arsing about.

I'm guessing the Esoterica shag cuts are the same sort of thing as Germain's own name stuff?
They seem a bit moist to just stuff but they dry very fast. ?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I definitely enjoy the cut! Dark Birds Eye! Hell, all the Gawith shags and of course I enjoy the Germain shag cut as well. The one that takes it a bit too far is the Le Petit Robin... that stuff is just too fine of a shag for my tastes. I usually cut my plug tobaccos into thin flakes which rubs out to a shag (depending on the plug really).

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Big fan of Shag cuts as well. Some favorites are D&R 3 Sails, Picayne, 5 brothers, GH Dark Birdseye, KBV Live Wire. Have tried a few others plus some crossovers Ryback comes to mind. The Shag cut does burn quicker but it's worth it if it's something you like.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Pipe tobacco was taxed at a lesser rate than cigarette tobacco so a lot of manufacturers used to call their RYO 'pipe tobacco' which has caused all sorts of headaches. As to shag cuts there used to be a lot more of them around years ago or so it seemed to me growing up in the U.K.

Mar 1, 2014
Shag does burn fast and hot, as logs and others mention. It's a good short smoke, like during a work break, at work or at home. But for relaxing, it is too short a smoke for me. I like Petite Robin and Five Brothers and others, but not a regular part of my rotation.

Shag Cut is a good excuse to buy Stack shape pipes (a focus of my collecting recently), and for those who specifically like the extravagance of the shape and don't want to wait five hours to finish the bowl, using Shag to fill a 3" Stack can be a matter of practicality.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I've just recently experienced shag cut blends for the first time. I gotta say, the shag cut is definitely my speed right now. Being in the humidity of New Orleans, I have a hard time getting my flakes and some ribbons to burn well even after drying. Sometimes it's just a waste of time and tobacco. Lately I've been smoking D&R Ryback, Three Sails, and Picayune - all shag cuts. I pack them tight in the larger bowl of my Rossi 8320 and do a quick light, burns easy with lots of flavor. Really love that the leaf already comes dry and it's actually soured me on some of my other blends that are more damp with humectants. Just don't see the need for that. I like these blends so much that I'm considering buying a stack shape pipe to smoke them longer.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I've just recently experienced shag cut blends for the first time. I gotta say, the shag cut is definitely my speed right now. Being in the humidity of New Orleans, I have a hard time getting my flakes and some ribbons to burn well even after drying. Sometimes it's just a waste of time and tobacco. Lately I've been smoking D&R Ryback, Three Sails, and Picayune - all shag cuts. I pack them tight in the larger bowl of my Rossi 8320 and do a quick light, burns easy with lots of flavor. Really love that the leaf already comes dry and it's actually soured me on some of my other blends that are more damp with humectants. Just don't see the need for that. I like these blends so much that I'm considering buying a stack shape pipe to smoke them longer.
I bought a Tsuge Topper not long ago for around 50 bucks. Talk about a stack. Check em out if you're on a budget or don't want to spend much on one. It comes with a bottom advancer too, which could be used as a tamper, but it's purpose is to be placed in the bowl for a shorter smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.