PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I tried the Samuel Gawith XX Twist which I found intriguing and unique with nothing else not even close to compare. I saw an interesting video of many years ago which shows how it is made starting from the brown rope (the ropes are actually the same) which is coated with olive oil, wrapped in waxed paper and put under a press in the oven for few hours for slow cooking (which is why it gets black).
I am wondering if there is any significant difference with the GH Black Irish Twist which could make sense to try this one also or if they are close enough which can be considered the same.

Reactions: Jshogan2

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I might be wrong but I think the G&H has a little burley and/or fire cured leaf where the SG is straight Virginia.

Honestly they are all pretty similar but I do find a slight difference between them. It seems to my palate the thickness of the twist affects the flavor as much as anything. It might be a delusional impression on my part but I smoke the lot of them and enjoy them all. If it’s all in my head I’m okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.