PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
This flake is from a 2006 bulk box. The flake aroma reminds me of sweet dried fruits like raisins. It smelled so good I wanted to eat it. The flake is dark with white sugar crystals. I was going to use me Nording pipe but once I rolled it to stuff in my pipe, the pipe was too small, so I used a Ben Wade Freestyle pipe. Fit perfect.
I dried it out for about an hour since it was still moist. It is a very sweet tasting tobacco, with an excellent sweet smelling room note. It really has this big sweet tobacco flavor that is very enjoyable. Definitely smokes better if smoked slow. There is a slight spiciness in the background that compliments this tobacco well. The smoke is dense and the flavors are rich. A wonderful smoking experience.
CIMG2742.JPG

CIMG2743.JPG

CIMG2748.JPG

CIMG2749.JPG

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
It is really hard to get FVF too dry. I have not yet accomplished that feat.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I tend to dry my Gawith flakes out overnight. Sometimes I'll breathe a little onto the dry flakes before I rub them, but that's more so they just don't rub into dust. I can get two hours out of a dry Gawith flake in a group 5 pipe.
Excellent review. Looking forward to having some old Full Virginia Flake to smoke at some point.

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I've got some bulk FVF jarred up that's coming up on a year. Not sure if I should crack it at the year point, or hold out longer. How do you think your aged flakes compared to a fresh batch?
I have a lot of favorite blends in my permanent rotation, but FVF is the only one I truly find myself craving. I hope someday I have enough willpower to keep some cellared as long as you did!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I've tried FVF many different ways and never am satisfied. I cracked open a jar I've been aging for a year and it has almost zero flavor. Tried many different pipes and prep styles to no avail. For the amount of work you have to put into FVF it just isn't worth it for me.
The only FVF I've enjoyed was some 10 year old stuff shared with me by pipe maker Thomas James in KC.
If anyone has any tips on FVF or pipe shapes that work for them please let me know. I'd hate to give up on the stuff.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
stluisrey, thanks for the review and all the pictures. In a large diameter pipe the flavor eventually becomes tiresome for me, so I stick with the narrower chamber diameters. BTW, is that Ben Wade a Preben Holm pipe?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Algenib: I've found a year doesn't change FVF much. It takes at least two or more. Otherwise, you might as well smoke it fresh.
Wide or narrow chamber, FVF always works for me, and I smoke it both kinds of pipes. Right now I'm smoking it in a 1968 Dunhill Shell straight bulldog, and it's just perfect! Earthy and a little sweet. Then again, it's one of favorite tobaccos, and it never bores me. Sometimes, I need a break from overly complex blends, especially since I smoke all day and night. If you only smoke a couple bowls a day or a four a week, I can see why something like FVF may not be enough for you.
Mr. Jerke: do you completely dry yours out or do you leave some moisture? I always leave some because I think most blends lose flavor when they are completely dry. FVF loses some sweetness that way, and when it's really dry, becomes rather monochromatic. Moist, I get enough to satisfy me. When I want more, there's lots of VaPers, Vaburs, etc., to choose from. One of the keys to smoking FVF with a little moisture is to pack it a little loose. See if any of that will help you.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I also don't like to over dry this blend. The tinned format can be a little moist and needs some dry time (for me anyway) but I've found the 250 gm boxes to be just about perfect straight from the packaging. One of my top three and gets smoked daily.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Jim- I feel like I've tried all different levels of drying. I may be drying it too much. I'll try leaving a little moisture and the looser pack technique.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
Cortez, I got it for my 21st birthday back in late 1987. How can you tell if it is pre Ben Holm pipe? Here's a pic of the stem and other markings. I recall you can tell by the emblem on the stem.
CIMG2331.JPG

CIMG2338.JPG

On a side note, I enjoy smoking Peterson University flake in the Ben Wade pipe which is in the background of the photo.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I acquired the 2006 SG FVF on a trade I made with a good friend. He loves stronger tobaccos so it cost me some SG SJF, and Cob plug for the half box of aged FVF. I am able to age my tobacco because I am a cigar smoker and enjoy the practice of aging cigars 4 years or more before smoking. That aging practice transferred over to how I age pipe tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've got about 10 lbs of FVF put down to age. I don't think I will smoke any until it gets to 5 years. My results aging Cumberland and Haddos have been excellent, and I hope that what I take to be African VAs in FVF age comparably well.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I haven't tried FVF yet, but I have 2oz of the standard blend, 1oz of FVF Plug, and 2oz of the Limited Edition Aged FVF made for the Pipe Club of London all on the way - should arrive tomorrow. Going to be an FVF side-by-side comparison going on after that!
If you haven't had the LE Aged blend and fancy a go, please PM your address and I'll send some on; I can get it from Bob Gregory at Sam Gawith at Pipe Club rates.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.