PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoboypipe

Lurker
Jul 2, 2018
Ontario Canada
Well, I caved in to the hype and bought myself a tin of black frigate. I'm currently about halfway through my first bowl and... I can honestly say I'm pretty much blown away. So much so that I'm inspired to write my first review.
The descriptions I've read made it sound like I would at least be able to enjoy this blend, I'm a fan of latakia and Turkish in almost any measure, as well as just about anything sweet; thus adding a bit of lat and some oriental to a nice sweet cavendished Virginia base, sign me up. However, this blend was even greater than i anticipated.
Upon opening the tin I was greeted to the pleasant view of a soft brick of mottled black and browns, ribbon cut and then pressed together, my first ever crumble cake. A beautiful presentation to be sure. However the smell accompanying this site was not quite as nice. The tart, almost acrid scent of the orientals/latakia make an odd accompaniment to the sweet-boozy scent of the Virginia rum mixture. It's not a good or bad scent, more-so one of those odd things that you want to continue taking sniffs of. I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into at this point.
Then the lighting, almost immediately I was welcomed to the slightly bitter/tart taste you sometimes get when lighting up, especially blends with lat/Turk leaves. After getting a bit into the blend I noticed that this taste wasn't quite going away, it was more so blending with the ever so tummy flavour in the background, ebbing and flowing into the foreground and the background, that black boat being bobbed up and down on the sea.

Closer to the midway point of the bowl this tart flavour begins to fade more into the background as now the slight plummy, raisin sweetness of the Virginias come in. That rum note is still slightly present in the background, but now it is complimenting the sweet virginias. When it came to the orientals and the rum, it made an interesting conflict, making the tartness of the oriental seem more complex and interesting, whereas with the Virginias the run tends to just enhance the flavour making it seem more round and full. Another thing I notice about this point of the bowl is how cool and smooth this entire experience has been, even in my excited, minorly quickened pace. Truly a wonderful smoking experience. Highly recommended to anyone.
Lastly, for those concerned about latakia, it doesn't really tend to impart much of a flavour (at least not one i could really pick out) to myself it just seems to make the experience seem more full, rounded out in some way, not the typical Smokey flavour you'd expect in a blend containing lat. Highly recommended!

Jan 8, 2013
Indeed. the latakia is definitely far in the background with Black Frigate. But although I love latakia, I believe adding more to the mix, the blend wouldn't be as good. It's there to sneak up every once in a while to whisper, "hi." And it's definitely a whisper. Nice review. Welcome aboard! :clap:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's what SHE said! 8O
Arrghh....
Mornin, gents. Welcome aboard, Canuck!
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Stellar review, might I also add! I do love this stuff. Seasoning another cob with in fact, this very morning. It's a beautiful, glorious smoke for breakfast. It's also glorious just before bed. I even like to have it after lunch. And you know, I also like it....oh hell, I could smoke it all day and not tire of it. It's even delicious sprinkled over ice cream! 8O not that... I'd know...or anything. :puffy:

scoboypipe

Lurker
Jul 2, 2018
Ontario Canada
I agree Anthony I wouldn't change a thing about it, it seems to be balances perfectly. I will definitely be ordering more of this beauty I'm glad everyone here spoke so highly of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.