Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
I'm looking for some info on the meaning of Ser Jacopo's letter code stamps. The finish and color designations are documented on Pipedia, but I can't find any information on the sometimes present letter stamp (e.g. A, B, C...)

I've emailed the company (info@serjacopo.it & serjacopo@inwind.it) and gotten a little info:

The letter C, for example can be', Delecta, Pulchra, Picta, Pipaccia, 3 maxima...the letters from A to E mean the optional of the pipes...

However, I asked specifically about a pipe stamped "G" and was told:

We don't have any G, from A to E... May be' this is the initial of the customer that bought this pipe...

This might be accurate for current production pipes, but I don't believe it is the case for older pipes because I can find other examples of "G" pipes online, including old estate listings from smokingpipes.com and even one of the examples on pipephil.eu. Of the examples I see online, I can't find anything that is obviously consistent among them (shape, finish, ornamentation, etc.)

So, does anybody know what a Ser Jacopo "G" is?

If it helps, here is a shot of my pipe. It's a sandblast (S2) with a silver spigot. Thanks for your help!

ser jacopo s2 g.jpg

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
I thought maybe the stamp of some intermediary (dealer, retailer) as well. Especially since there doesn't seem to be much in common among the examples of "G" stamped SJs I can find online.

I don't know much about the business, but it seems odd to me that a dealer or retailer would stamp a pipe in such a generic way, though.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Thanks!

Interestingly, that is the only example of a gem series SJ I have seen with a G stamp. Mine and the old smokingpipes.com listings are not higher grades like that one on pipephil.eu.