Sentiment of Smoking, Cigar or Pipe. Is It Something Special or “Routine” in Your Day to Day?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Why can routine and special not be one and the same? Breathing is routine but each breath keeps us going until the next so it's special. I have a pipe going during most of my waking hours and that allows those around me to keep breathing, and that makes it special.
Habit or custom, which means something special to you. Something you really love. Yes I agree. For me, after several decades, it is still a very special routine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Habit or custom, which means something special to you. Something you really love. Yes I agree. For me, after several decades, it is still a very special routine.
It's part of my routine, but it's special not mundane.
Exactly. Something you love can be done regularly without becoming monotonous.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Neither routine nor special, every smoke is intentional. I have no specific past memories nor am I in any way attached to tobacco. I started collecting and smoking pipes as something I intentionally wanted to do for me; and I can (and do) set my pipes down and walk away from them for months or years on end. For me it’s a case of the Jungian query: “Do people have ideas or do ideas have people?” In my case, I would assume it’s the latter.

Reactions: Duck and JOHN72

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Pipes are for calming me down. Usually after doing something or before work.
A cigar I tend to enjoy more when having a drink or 10 on the back deck with my mum, and she enjoys the company and the smell of a stogie, memories of her grandfather.

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
I guess it is more routine for me. I have a pipe in my mouth most of the time when I’m awake. It helps me from saying what’s on my mind and keeps me calm so I don’t throttle anyone. I do have special smokes at time when I grab a special blend or pipe but not day in and day out.
??

Reactions: kcghost

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Great question! In fact, I was contemplating asking something similar.

For me, it is more daily routine than special (though every moment smoking a pipe is “special”).

I never take for granted that I will smoke a pipe, what with a young family, little ones in the house, etc. But I usually find the time, whether while roasting coffee or reading a book in the garage, or while taking a walk.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
For me it is something very special. Something that I inherited from my father. Smoking at dawn in silence. what do you think?
It is always special, especially since I usually go outside and am often joined by my cats in agreeable & companionable silence. We just enjoy being outside among the trees. Pipe smoking is almost like breath meditation, Anapanasati.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Pipe= a way to relax a bit before having to chore.
Cigar= Social
Iv'e been a bit anti-social lately, so I haven't smoked many cigars. I prefer to be alone in perfect silence to enjoy my pipes. Special, not really, unless it's the Frog, that's only for special occasions.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
It’s a special relaxing encounter. Since Covid, I have rarely been able to enjoy a cigar. Friends tell me to just go walk around the block and smoke one. Yeah, it’s not a cigarette. Smoking a cigar and pipe is to be savored.

Reactions: JOHN72