Sentiment of Smoking, Cigar or Pipe. Is It Something Special or “Routine” in Your Day to Day?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I don’t smoke a pipe in front of my kids and generally wait till they’re in bed, so for me it’s a relaxing end of day contemplative reward. Oddly I’ll still occasionally smoke cigars in front of them (usually if I’m doing some yard work or we’re in the pool), so cigars are a less sacred ritual experience with me.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
For me smoking a pipe began as something I’d call special. It was a way to connect with my grandfather and his generation. The smell of pipe smoke reminds me of hanging around in his wood shop as a boy. The smoke from his pipe mingled with the smell of sawdust and wood stove was amazing. I still feel that connection sometimes when I smoke my pipes but really, pipe smoking has become for me what it was to him - just something I do. I smoke when I drive, when I water the plants, when I’m drinking coffee or whiskey etc. pipe smoking has become to much a part of my everyday to have remained “special”. But that’s ok

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m in the special time camp. Typically one bowl or 1 cigar a day. My evening wind down time. I love Saturday morning pipe and coffee.

I am actually looking forward to getting a new Gravel Bike, ride out into the desert trails find a cool spot and take a break and smoke a pipe. I think that would be fun.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I remember an image of my father smoking a pipe, in the Thames river in London. I think in the year 82. Several times I visited England, early eighties. I still remember the milk delivery man with his little car. Good fond memories of that beautiful country..................
Do you mean actually in in the River Thames, or on it in a boat ?
wish I could get my milk delivered every day here in London, but nobody does that anymore.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Do you mean actually in in the River Thames, or on it in a boat ?
wish I could get my milk delivered every day here in London, but nobody does that anymore.
Yes, it was on the shore of the river. Also drink in a traditional beer tavern. My father worked his whole damn trucker life. I will never forget that smell of tobacco in the cab of the truck at all hours.....................These memories make me cry.............

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
I don't really find anything special about smoking a pipe, pipe smoking for me is just another medium for enjoying tobacco when it's convenient to do so.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it's like dinner. It's special. I can eat whatever for lunch and only worry about feeding myself. Frozen burritos, fine... Dinner usually is something at least somewhat special and eaten with appreciation and care.
Basically the pipe is like dinner. I can put a snus in for nicotine and forget about it. A pipe is always at least somewhat appreciated and special.