PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
A friend of mine send through this e-mail from Vincent Manil, one of the few manufacturers who still make the original Belgium Semois tobacco:
---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Subject: Belgium Semois Tobacco
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,
First of all, I would like to apologize for not being able to fulfill your request on time.
I had multiple reasons for not sending you my tobacco :

- the shipping price would have been expensive

- the means of payment were uncertain

- the bank would have taken a percentage of the money you would have paid me
and last but not least, it wasn't even sure that you would get the tobacco due to the US custom office.
Second, I'm glad to tell you you won't have to face any of those problems above. The Manil Semois Tobacco products will be available in the US.
You shall buy it directly from the United States.
We are, me and my American partner, currently waiting the TTB approval to sell my unique tobacco oversea. It shall be accepted soon.
So it is with a great pleasure that I'm writing this e-mail to inform you to be ready to taste an old Belgium tobacco.
Yours faithfully

Vincent Manil
+32 (0) 474 79 82 00

www.tabac-semois.com

So it seems that Semois ordering problems will soon be over and everyone will have a chance to taste this authentic tobacco.
And for those who don't know anything about this Belgium leaf: http://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/sunny-semois/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any word on who the U.S. supplier is and how they can be reached? If it's not too much, I'd be interested in trying a small

quantity, for starters anyway. Those who've smoked it don't rave. It's unusual and a worthwhile experience. It might

work into some blend or another, but for now, I think people are on their own. I think they will do a brisk traffic on

pipe smokers' curiosity.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
I am sorry but this mail is all the info I have.. I am also wondering who is the US supplier.

I would not blend the real Semois with anything else. It is a really authentic, old-fashioned tobacco. Remember, it is only grown in 1 valley in Belgium and there are only 3 manufacturers who still produce it. It tastes the same as it did 100 years ago. It is a workman's, a farmers tobacco, absolutely pure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I was able to obtain some Semois, I would certainly smoke it first unblended. It is suitable for that, and that would

be the desired experience. I longed to ask my sister and her partner on their way to Holland to see if it was available

there, but my bother-in-law's sister is seriously ill, and I didn't feel right assigning them errands. It was my golden

opportunity. Maybe I could explore this through one of his friends when things aren't quite so urgent. I don't think this

is a tobacco available at the duty free airport shop. You'd have to visit tobacconists in Amsterdam, and they might or

might not have it. I've been through the airport in Brussels, but didn't know about Semois at the time, didn't know to look.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I'm intrigued by this tobacco and am anticipating its availability here in the US. I too explored the possibility of some friends traveling abroad procuring some but it didn't work out. Perhaps when the importer/seller info becomes available we can post it on this thread.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I was going to ask if anyone knew were to get any or all of the tobaccos they offer...saw this topic so I stopped in my tracks.
I received the same email from Vincent a couple days ago and was hoping someone knew someone who lives where it can be purchased.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's the link to my review of the Windel's Grove, which is a different version than Manil.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/windels-grove-semois-coupe-grosse-tobacco-review/

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anyone have the current scoop on Semois avaiability? The problem seems to have been that Mr. Manil was "currently waiting the TTB approval to sell my unique tobacco oversea. "What is the TBB? is this still the problem? It seemed that the tobacco was going to distributed to the US very soon, yet the trail seems to have cold. Mike

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I sent Vincent another email a few weeks ago with no reply.
I am lucky enough to have a sample on the way to me via my Nephew. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.