PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
This is my 2018 air cured Semois crop. As almost everyone knows, Semois tobacco is a burley type- grown for more than a century in the Belgian Semois River Valley.
It's a short, squat plant with long dark green leathery leaves. In appearance, it resembles the Little Dutch plant. It is a hardy, robust plant and generally easy to grow.

Today, I'm taste testing it. The frst test will be to toast it in the oven at 250F for 20200403_091400[1].jpg10 minutes.

Attachments

• 20200403_091405[1].jpg
    20200403_091405[1].jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a fan of Tabac-Manil Semois, the only version i've tried. I like the thick cut best, but medium is almost as good. Being a burley smoker, it lends a new dimension to the strain. I suspect that, grown outside Belgium, it is somewhat different in flavor, but only you can say.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
This is my 2018 air cured Semois crop. As almost everyone knows, Semois tobacco is a burley type- grown for more than a century in the Belgian Semois River Valley.
It's a short, squat plant with long dark green leathery leaves. In appearance, it resembles the Little Dutch plant. It is a hardy, robust plant and generally easy to grow.

Today, I'm taste testing it. The frst test will be to toast it in the oven at 250F for View attachment 2503210 minutes.
First, let the record show that I like Manil's tobacco. I mean I really like it. I understand that it's not at the top of everyone's list. But for me it's the pure tobacco experience. In fact, I have made several attempts to obtain J. Martin's version- Tougue of the Dog- all to no avail. Not one retailer will send it out of Belgium. That's why I was so excited to be gifted some authentic Semois seeds, a while back. After all, I'm good at growing things and the process of Semois appears very strait forward. Air cure and maturing for a couple of years and a toasting. After curing the crop, I had to hide it from myself high up in the attic's crawlspace.

I loaded a MM cob with the toasted Semois and lit it.
I have, for comparison, I have some Manil Pure Semois.
Here are some impressions:

Like Manil, the '18 homegrown burns relatively quickly. This is probably due to the toasted state of the tobacco.
It definitely has the unique Semois flavor that I was looking for. By exhaling through the nose I can really taste it. Hay, oiled leather with a faint cinnamon flavor- possibly smokey sweet bacon. Surprisingly, there was no harshness. Medium Nic hit. In fact, it was so pleasant that I considered repacking the bowl for a 2cd round. I like it very much and am in fact smugly pleased.

Attachments

• 20200403_093854[1].jpg
    20200403_093854[1].jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200403_100715[1].jpg
    20200403_100715[1].jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Hey docpierce! I know you from the other tobacco forum (whereI go by DistillingJim). I never got around to growing any Semois but I'm lucky enough to have a fair bit of Manils so i guess I'm ok for now.
Hey everyone- this is a good guy right here. He gifted me the seeds. Welcome jhand45! I think you will like it over here.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Awesome thread, and congrats on your success! I have two questions.
How much tobacco in pounds do you think you yeilded? And how big of an area did you grow it in?

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Awesome thread, and congrats on your success! I have two questions.
How much tobacco in pounds do you think you yeilded? And how big of an area did you grow it in?
I yielded approximately two pounds. Something like 10'x20'.

Status
Not open for further replies.