PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

claude47

Lurker
Dec 2, 2017
Hello guys,
I'm new here, but a long silent reader from the begining. I'm a pipe smoker and collector for more than fourty years, and i am looking the best way to sell off some of my pipes.
So m question is: where do I have the best chance?

claude47

Lurker
Dec 2, 2017
Thank you both!
I have had two bad sells on ebay, bad isn't the word, let's say they sold for a very low price. Both where Dunhill patent era's horn shanked pipes, almost unsmoked. The ending price was almost not acceptable, but i agreed on the ebay terms so there they went to two lucky new owners that placed them a month later on ebay with great pictures. They made six times what i got for them. But this is history. I have goofeedback as a buyer but that doesn't help. But i also think it's the photo quality, these days photo's are more important than text.
I have like 20 pipes I want to sell. Some nice Dunhill's, and also some Danish made and Italians. A Former, a Bang, two Foundation, an very old BBB own make, a very early Comoy's, a Peter Heeschen and more. Good pipes for a price range between 100 and 400 dollar.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
You know you can sell on EBay at a fixed price, right? You can also set up a reserve (minimum) price.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Gypsy- Lmao! I seem to do the exact opposite! I'll buy a pipe, smoke it a while, decide it doesn't work for me, then clean it up and sell it for less than I paid. Example: today I sold an old Scotti era Castello on Ebay. I paid over $200 for it, decided it was too large for my taste, PAID to have it cleaned up, then sold it for $146. My thinking is that at least I can get something back that I can apply towards a new (to me) pipe. I think I need a new plan!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I don't understand being upset with someone who buys something for a price you set. If you auction something with no reserve, you get what you asked. I for sure don't want to pay more than I want to.

Set a price and either sell it or not, but getting upset is not logical.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I started a similar thread in the past. Just sold 40 pipes at regular auction on eBay from one of the popular eBay guys . One auction was aggravating , sold for 400 less than I paid at an auction a few months prior. The buyer reposted on eBay at a fixed price 260% more than he paid. Other than that having someone auction your pipes is the easiest. I am now going to list some at fixed prices and see how that goes . I’ll also post some here. It’s all a crap shoot. I’ll have a better answer after completing my experiment.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I don’t say the best way, the easiest for sure . Listing and dealing with ding dong buyers can be a pain.
I was advised to go through someone with popularity and more of a presence. When trafficking in well known pipe brands or names , not sure that makes that much of a difference. I will find out , I’m going to try some more methods.
There was a similar thread about an unsmoked pipe from Knets , an open format auction could yield way less than expected or desired, and the range of value the posters gave was 300-1500 for the same pipe. If the seller wants a fixed price of 1200 to be happy, it is now my opinion they should list it with a fixed price auction, knowing that it may not sell. Lesson learned for me . I was selling an Ivarsson pipe, that convinced me of such.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With eBay you need an excellent visual presentation to have a shot at getting decent prices. So if your photos are not good, your results won't be good. You could try consignment with Pipestud, or Briar Blues, or Marty Pulvers. You could book a table at a pipe show. You could sell your pipes to Smoking Pipes, Rob Cooper, Chance, Rodrigo, etc. Keep in mind that when you sell your pipes to a dealer you're getting paid wholesale, consignment, you're getting a percentage of what they get. Surprise, the dealers need to make money as well. Also, different times of the year are either better or worse for selling stuff. After the holidays, you're going to get less. Budgets are blown. Marriages are on the rocks. Families are shattered. So, after the Holidays is not a good time to sell your pipes. Spring, summer, just not around the Holidays unless you're selling in late November/early December. Good luck!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I come across one that has fallen out of favor, or just a dud, it goes into the trash. Less headache.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
So, Claude47,

Welcome to our little gabfest.

40 yrs y'a say? Wow! You must have a few stories to tell about pipes!

How about your tobacco? Collect any?
I've only smoked (a pipe) for a 3 yrs or so, but I got the bright idea of profiting from ebay buys and the acquisition bug simultaneously and started hunting pipes on ebay early on.

I gave up the idea of re-selling about a year into my 'collecting', yet continued to collect.

I've never spent a lot of money on any of them, but I've got a nice variety of makes and some great smoking pipes.

The idea of selling them for profit has gone by the wayside and I'd rather give a pipe away to someone who wanted to smoke it than sell it for a few dollars 'profit'.

I really enjoy having several racks of pipes from which to choose and the knowledge I've gained from each one of them.

I even enjoy my The Pipe and my Yelo-Bole Brylon! (early 'whoopsies') but, once you understand cadence, great for the car or truck. Indestructible, easy to maintain, and ghost free. I find an intrinsic value to the silliest of them as well as the Dunhill, Barlings, Savinellis, Petersons, Butz Choquins, Linkmans, Westbrooks, Comoys, or Kaywoodies and others I've 'landed' on what I consider to be 'the cheap'. (all but the Dunhill under $50, and most under $30)

claude47

Lurker
Dec 2, 2017
Hi all,
Thanks for all your good advice!
What I will do is ask someone to take some good pictures, in focus and all :)
@newbroom: i do collect tobacco. I have more than 30 kilo at the moment. Starting from war time St Bruno till the latest McClelland 40th. I never sell tobacco, because i smoke it. Pipes i don't smoke at all, or never smoke, can leave. Or pipes I bought never holding them and made some mistakes (size, color, acrylic mouthpieces, etc)
I got a couple of PM's from friendly people that want to see the pipes i'm offering. They will get some of my very amateuristic photo's.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Claude, Welcome to the Forum
There are a number of options.
List them yourself on E-Bay or Etsy etc. You need to have high quality photos. If you don't set a reserve or fixed price you do run the risk of an item selling for a lower than expected price. Fixed price and reserve auctions tend not to get as much interest as auctions with no reserve. Feedback does help. Reputation as a seller with a long track record makes more difference. Sellers like Great Estate Pipes, Coopersark, and Treasure Pipes, and Pipestud do very well, but even they can get an off item that sells for much less than expected.
Selling the pipes directly to a dealer, such as those mentioned above is one way to go, but as Jesse stated, they will pay you a wholesale price, which is about 50% of what they think the item will sell for. They run the risks though. You get cash in hand quickly.
Consigning to a dealer such as Marty Pulvers or myself is different. We work on consignment. Fees from various dealers varies. So to get that information you will need to contact each and ask. With consignment though, it may take some time for your pipes to sell. Most dealers never know what will sell right away and what may sit. I have had some of the worlds fugliest pipes arrive and sell within a heart beat. I have also ( and still have ) some great pipes, that are well priced ) on the site that have sat for years.
The "normal" rule of thumb on current production estate / pre smoked pipes is ..... they will sell for around 50% of the new SRP. This varies from brand to brand, as some command more collector interest, and others do not. Vintage pipes are a complete different animal. Just view the E-Bay British Pipes thread and you'll get an idea of what I mean.
I can only suggest you look at all your options. Contact as many of the above as possible and ask their advice. You should get honest ( and maybe depressing ) answers, but at least you'll know where you stand.
Finally, IF you chose to send the pipes to someone else to have them sell the pipes, make sure you feel 100% comfortable with whom you send them to. I highly recommend all those I've mentioned above, except myself. I'm a cranky old sob and very difficult to deal with.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Reactions: GragalagusRex1

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Claude47 ---
You can trust Mike Glukler implicitly. He's a long-established Good Guy in the PipeWorld who isn't guessing, he knows.
Follow his advice and you'll do OK (except the last two sentences, he's 100% wrong, there :lol: )

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Some excellent advice on here- My own experience in selling pipes I make is that a seller with a 10,000 feedback who bought pipes from me in Chicago gets 30% more than I get auctioning pipes myself...The guys with heavy feeedback put a lot more eyeballs on the pipes....and the photography and descriptions are good...
...and Alan had some nice pipes- ended up borrowing one to use as a model and ended up buying it at a very fair price...
...and if Mike and George said it, it's definitely true...(and if they ever decide to add a Cranky SOB contest to the Slow Smoking contest in Chicago, it's hard to tell which of those guys would come out on top...:)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's difficult to recoup the money you pay for a pipe from its sale. I've almost never done it. Buy for the long term and smoke it until one of you dies!
smokingpipes and others only offer cash at ~33% of what they feel they can sell the pipe for. They offer more like 55% if you use the money to buy more of their goods. So they either pay out on the low end or offer half and profit twice. I did the trade because I was in clutches of having seen a Castello estate I just had to have. Under this system you pay a lot for that next bright and shiny thing.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I haven’t sold pipes, but have sold many other things. It all comes down to the relative value you place on money, time, effort, and hassle. In the OP example of selling far below the price the pipes were later resold for, it sounds like the seller needed to expend more in terms of time & effort in research on how ebay auctions work. - - Of course, all can be sold relatively quickly. But that’s likely to cost one a lot of money. There are situations where time is lacking because of other higher priority commitments; and, money is less a consideration. Or, one may not have the resources & talents to best market the item (including the photography and writing ad copy) and don’t want to expend the time, money, and effort that may be necessary.
So in the end, there is no single ‘best solution’. The seller will have to weigh all the factors involved to find the best approach for him.

claude47

Lurker
Dec 2, 2017
Thank you all for your time, I think for me, as a person who won't take a sharp or macro picture even in my wildest dreams, i will try to find a dealer that will buy them from me for a fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.