PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I've come to a point in my life where I need money more than I need pipes & tobacco (a sad day, I know). I'm not even going to attempt to sell the tobacco on eBay as I know it'll probably get taken down immediately. Pipes however, I'm not sure about. Any recommendations or things I should know about selling them?

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I've done it on ebay (pipes and tobacco) with success. Pictures are important for selling pipes.
I've also co-signed them over to Steve Fallon (Pipestud) and he does all the work and takes a percentage for his work.
Selling pipes and tobacco is welcomed on this forum but only one post per month. But that one post can have several things for sale on it (ie, you can put 4 pipes (and pics) on one post or 10 different tins of baccy..or a combo. Just as long as it's all on one post.
Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Unfortunately same situation here, as my outdated skills are not so much in demand anymore, so when new pipes come in, others have to leave. I presume you would be selling on ebay.com and not local ebays, as I did by selling several pipes via ebay.de. I am afraid too many potential US bidders did not find them. I have complained to ebay that almost no matter how you search for my pipes listed on ebay.de, they are not showing up on ebay.com. I now start with high minimum bids or buy now, to avoid too few bidders/giving pipes away.. You also need some positive recommendations to become trusted, , so start selling the cheap ones first and not some 'jewel' pipes first like I did, with too few bids...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now to add I am switching to a certain tobacco, and am looking get rid of some that I have in jars and a couple unopened tins. Since you guys are experts with standards, anything I should know before attempting?
You're taking a chance selling tobacco on eBay. You could get royally screwed. Sell it here or take it to a pipe show, or consign it with Pipestud.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am not sure if it helps, but it seems like to me is that I like to add a bit of comedy and descriptiveness to some of my adds.Good pictures most of all. I did that with an ad for some display cases I wanted to move, and I got an email from someone saying that even though they had no use for the cases they wanted to do the deal because the ad was funny.
Take a look at treasurepipe listings. His listings are about as minimal as it gets. He just posts really pretty pictures and gets top dollar. The image is the thing. The rest is window dressing.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You'll want four-six of the best pictures you can make of you pipes. Be sure the pipes are very clean but don't buff the nomenclature. Don't put a reserve on a pipe unless you have one that is very good. Be sure to put the name of the pipe in the title and anything else that might make bidders get excited. If you haven't done much business on eBay be prepared for lower bids.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I would post here first. If results are not satisfactory, then Ebay.Don't know your location but abroad shipping can be high, so be sure to take that into account.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
rayje; all the above should help. Clear large photos help. Correct descriptions are a must, if you chose to add them. Size measurements are an asset. I sell for Briar Blues, and buy for my collection, via E-Bay. No measurements including weight, I do not bid. I just look, close the window, and move on. Condition described may help. Tooth marks, bowl dings etc that are disclosed up front will save you poor feedback and returns. Be willing to reply to questions asked. You will get some. Some you will think very stupid, but be polite with your replies. EVEN, if the question is already posted in the description. I can't count the number of times I get asked what the weight of Pipe X, Y or Z is, or if has fills, passes a pipe cleaner and more, all of which I list. So be patient. Many buyers only look at the pictures and hit bid.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, I think treasurepipes pictures suck. Pipestud and coopersark, and briar blues and even great estates, all take way better pictures than treasurepipes. He never shows the nomenclature on his pipes and he never answers questions, pretty much a dick.
If I don't see all the proper stats on a pipe including weight, I just turn the page. I cannot be bothered with sellers too lazy to put all the info in their auctions.

Oct 7, 2016
I have been very pleased with the results Pipestud has gotten for my pipes and tobacco. 30% might sound like a lot for his commission, but eBay and PayPal fees, which come out of his end, are 10% or more of the gross. He is pretty much the only game on the internet for Tobacco, though he may or may not have a market for what you have. Reports I hear are that show prices realized are less than what he gets. And for pipes, he deals with eBays rules, which are today heavily slanted in the buyers favor.
I buy lots of pipes on eBay, and rarely look at buy it now listings. The three exceptions in the last year were listings someone else pointed me to. Most high starting bid auctions or ones with high reserves don't get a second look from me. And in my mind I don't often get a bargain. Good pipes with good pictures and accurate descriptions usually bring good money. I bid the max I would pay at a show if there is a return privilege. I have only returned one pipe. If you have a number of pipes, can take good pictures and can provide the details Briarblues mentioned in a narrative that shows you know something about what you are selling, the averages will work for you. But eBay sellers can tell you some eye opening stories about being worked over by eBay or PayPal.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
jesse, I think treasurepipes pictures suck. Pipestud and coopersark, and briar blues and even great estates, all take way better pictures than treasurepipes. He never shows the nomenclature on his pipes and he never answers questions, pretty much a dick.
If I don't see all the proper stats on a pipe including weight, I just turn the page. I cannot be bothered with sellers too lazy to put all the info in their auctions.
And he's getting top quality pipes to sell at top quality prices, so obviously a lot of buyers don't agree with your assessment. He used to put a lot more info in his listings but I guess he decided it didn't make any difference. At least he's having them cleaned. When I used to buy from him, they were filthy inside.
BTW, I've never had a communication issue with Rodrigo. He's always responded promptly to my messages. Maybe he doesn't like you. :twisted:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
When measuring a pipe should I use cm or inches? I'm in the US but not sure what is used for measuring. Also as I'm pretty terrible at the measuring would pics of the pipes with a ruler be satisfactory or do people want actual measurements?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, I have actually won a couple of his auctions and got real good deals. Some of his stuff sells for stupid money but plenty don't. How hard is it to take a pic of the nomenclature, everyone else does it but him. He doesn't know me from a hole in the wall so no reason to not answer a simple question.
rayje, if you pull that ruler crap you won't make money. You need to put every dimension the pipe has and if you are smart you will do it both in inches and in metric.

Oct 7, 2016
I have been very pleased with the pipes I have won from treasure pipes. I am not into the high dollar stuff from Denmark and Japan that he sells, but the prices he gets on the Italian brands that I am interested in and know a little about are more than reasonable, perhaps because his pictures are second rate compared to other sellers mentioned.
But sometimes it is better that the photography isn't so good, such as the time recently he listed an unsmoked Ser Jacopo L3 (a grade no longer made, replaced by Emerald in the Gemline range) as an L2. The poor photography still allowed me and another bidder to see that it was an L3, and I won it with a bid within $10 of my maximum snipe. The underbidder? Rob Siegel of Marble Arch, the former importer/distributor for Ser Jacopo for the US. Perhaps the high dollar stuff gets better pictures. And more attention to detail.
And the Castello 14 I got recently wasn't filthy, but if he paid someone to clean it, he did not get his money's worth.
And he has always answered questions, which have usually been nomenclature related.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Feedback numbers help. Good pics and honesty. It’s a gamble regardless. If you have the time you can list it as buy it now, usually takes longer to sell. Just plan on taking a hit the first few while your learning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use this picture for size and include the weight in grams.
Treasure pipes and others can get away with only posting four or five photos, they have a trusted reputation. My feedback is a fraction of theirs, so I include 10-11 photos. I'd recommend photos over descriptive, let the pictures do the talking.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Welp listed the first pipe to test the waters. Included overall length, inside bowl width, and an approx. bowl depth as well as its weight on oz (no scale with grams). Also made sure to point out any flaws that were obvious to me. So we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.