PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
When selling a hard-to-find, much in demand estate, is it appropriate to sell such a pipe for over the original retail?

Oct 7, 2016
Willing buyer, willing seller, each being in possession of all material facts and neither being under a compulsion to buy or sell = fair market value. Emphasis on fair.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's definitely okay. As long as it's an honest deal and any alterations are detailed.
Just because something is for sale for $Xxx, doesn't mean it will sell for $Xxx

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had also planned to have the pipe refurbished (fresh stain, wax buff, and inform the buyer of these refurbishment). By the time I'm finished, I may not want to let it go!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's certainly not a problem at classic car auctions or furniture auctions. Inflation has changed things. The market continually re-evaluates the prices on everything. Saavy customers will exercise reason, and if you run into a wild crazy free-spending guy, who knows in detail what you're selling, that's his decision. What are you going to tell him he can't have it because he's offering to pay too much? That's somewhat insulting. Besides which, he may know something you don't.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure! Imagine it's a Dunhill bought in 1950 for $40 but similar pipes now trade for $300.... Even if bought yesterday if the market says it's worth more, it's worth more.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
No, I'll buy it for half of what you paid for it originally, since it is now used. PayPal is good... :nana:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With collectible estates, rarity is only part of the equation. Condition is the other part. As long as you are honest and accurate about what you are selling, there's no ethical issue. The market will determine what you get.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I've picked up quite a few estates. I don't really care what the seller gave for it, it's what I'm willing to put it in my collection. And, yes I do comparative shopping when purchasing.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I had also planned to have the pipe refurbished (fresh stain, wax buff, and inform the buyer of these refurbishment). By the time I'm finished, I may not want to let it go!
If you re-stain it, it might de-value the pipe. If I am buying an old Charatan Distinction, I'd rather have the original stain, even if worn, then something not "Charatan". I'm all for cleaning and buffing, but replacement stems and re-stains are a deal killer for me.

Otherwise, absolutely fine! If what came before is better than what is made today, it certainly becomes more valuable. Sell away! BTW - whatcha' got???

Status
Not open for further replies.