Selling Estates

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member
Jul 24, 2013
When selling a hard-to-find, much in demand estate, is it appropriate to sell such a pipe for over the original retail?

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
As long as the buyer knows what they are buying and they make the choice to pay whatever the amount is. No issues that I can see.

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member
Oct 7, 2016
Willing buyer, willing seller, each being in possession of all material facts and neither being under a compulsion to buy or sell = fair market value. Emphasis on fair.

jefff

Preferred Member
May 28, 2015
Chicago
What also matters is when was it original?
If the pipe is 10 years old from a hot maker then yes.

ashdigger

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2016
It's definitely okay. As long as it's an honest deal and any alterations are detailed.
Just because something is for sale for $Xxx, doesn't mean it will sell for $Xxx

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member
Jul 24, 2013
I had also planned to have the pipe refurbished (fresh stain, wax buff, and inform the buyer of these refurbishment). By the time I'm finished, I may not want to let it go!

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
It's certainly not a problem at classic car auctions or furniture auctions. Inflation has changed things. The market continually re-evaluates the prices on everything. Saavy customers will exercise reason, and if you run into a wild crazy free-spending guy, who knows in detail what you're selling, that's his decision. What are you going to tell him he can't have it because he's offering to pay too much? That's somewhat insulting. Besides which, he may know something you don't.

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
Sure! Imagine it's a Dunhill bought in 1950 for $40 but similar pipes now trade for $300.... Even if bought yesterday if the market says it's worth more, it's worth more.

samcoffeeman

Apr 6, 2015
No, I'll buy it for half of what you paid for it originally, since it is now used. PayPal is good... :nana:

iamn8

Preferred Member
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Even after having smoked estate pipes for awhile, anytime I see the word, I immediately think of Robin's Nest :)

sablebrush52

Preferred Member
Jun 15, 2013
An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With collectible estates, rarity is only part of the equation. Condition is the other part. As long as you are honest and accurate about what you are selling, there's no ethical issue. The market will determine what you get.

jabo

Jan 26, 2016
I've picked up quite a few estates. I don't really care what the seller gave for it, it's what I'm willing to put it in my collection. And, yes I do comparative shopping when purchasing.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
I don't think too many of us would be here on the forum if estate pipes only sold for original retail or less. We'd be buried in cheap pipes.

tschiraldi

Preferred Member
Dec 14, 2015
I had also planned to have the pipe refurbished (fresh stain, wax buff, and inform the buyer of these refurbishment). By the time I'm finished, I may not want to let it go!
If you re-stain it, it might de-value the pipe. If I am buying an old Charatan Distinction, I'd rather have the original stain, even if worn, then something not "Charatan". I'm all for cleaning and buffing, but replacement stems and re-stains are a deal killer for me.

Otherwise, absolutely fine! If what came before is better than what is made today, it certainly becomes more valuable. Sell away! BTW - whatcha' got???

Status
Not open for further replies.