PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I was browsing/trolling through fleabay and stumbled across this posting and got quite a good laugh out of it. A blatently and absurdly fake Dunhill. At least it's only starting at $9.50. Maybe it's Dunhill, Kansas pipes? :rofl:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-Handmade-PIPE/151755473721?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725133649%26meid%3D80199b262b9b441683ae0a4a0ff9df90%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D381328633976

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you look at all of the other items this seller has sold there are no pipes listed. With that said: the seller obviously has no knowledge about pipes whatsoever so you certainly can't blame him/her for false advertising on this pipe as it does indeed say 'Handmade Dunhill', albeit the nomenclature is quite absurd. Why on earth is says: Li Jia (Gia) Dou (?) on the box, and then states Dunhill on the pipe is beyond me. Granted, it looks as though the stem is made of plastic and the bowl carved from some remnants of a 1950's Lincoln Log toy set, but for a starting bid of $9.50 there is no harm or foul on the part of the seller. Other than that... a good laugh.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And the "lucky" bidder can say he has a "Dunhill"!
I love the Lincoln Log angle, but I wonder if one of our experts can ID the wood from the photos.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Phil, oh yeah i wasn't insinuating there was foul play/dishonest intentions involved, i just thought it was funny as hell. From the starting price, i am sure the seller is just as you described and has probably priced the thing about right for a decoration in someone's living room or something. I would be curious to know the story behind the pipe and how it came about, who made it, where it originated, the weird box listed with it, etc. That said i'm planning on sniping it in the last seconds, so none of you scoundrels get any funny ideas. I'm thinking $350 should be good enough to beat all the other pipe experts that will inevitably be beating down the sniping door to get the beauty, right?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It sold for $31.00 and there were 9 bids. Maybe these bidders know more about the pipe than we do? Then again, maybe they do not avail themselves of the staggering amount of fact and opinion about pipes on this board? How many 10s of thousands of words do we spend talking pipes? It can seem like drudgery at times, obsession at others, but in the end we are much better equipped to deal with ebay provocateurs.
The pipe itself, though appearing to be a bent chubby, proves itself to be of the shape the "wanderer," given the sharp break where the stem attaches to the bowl. It's my guess that the maker eschewed carving a swimming shank, such as seen in some Blowfish, and simply bent the pipe at the stem attachment, maybe with a convenient twist of the fingers and wrist. Saves a lot of bother carving. Then too the wood looks like the finishing was taken down, but in another time-saving gesture, not brought back up. More bother. Let someone else pay for stain and wax.
In the end $31.00 seems much too much for the pipe. I don't think I'd have given $5.00. This guy has some 1200 happy customers. Now he has 1201.

Status
Not open for further replies.