Seem to Be Sensitive to Various Types of Pipe Tobacco , Plus a Touch Crazy Perhaps

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jmatrix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2019
I will preface by stating that as a former cigarette smoker my pipe smoking always seems to converge to short sessions of smoke inhalation, very much like cigarettes. Perhaps I am too unsophisticated to be reformed.

But on to the topic.

I seem to be very sensitive to various types of tobacco. Here is a list of what I have tried and my experiences with each:
1. Half and Half - this was pretty nice, but made me nicotine sick
2. Lane 1q - made me anxious
3. MacBaren Original Choice so strong, it was disorientating lol
4. Carter Hall, and Prince Edward - felt depressed feeling after smoking

Initially I thought it might have been the burley ,but Lane 1q is Virginia.

I am envious of those who can smoke any tobaccos. Until then the search continues for the ideal tobacco smoke

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The classic sensible advice is don't inhale a tobacco pipe, though likely many do. It's a load of nicotine and oxygen deprivation. I'm surprised you get a variety of effects with different blends, and feel them strongly, after a serious cigarette habit, but it is individual. I'd try not inhaling, and see if you can make a habit of that. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd quit smoking. You're laying on those nicotine receptors pretty hard.

Reactions: JOHN72

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never inhale pipe tobacco as I get no flavor if I do. I still smoke a few cigarettes a day and I inhale those as why would I smoke a cigarette and not inhale. I am getting to the point of no more cigarettes as they taste like shit compared to my pipes.

I will preface by stating that as a former cigarette smoker my pipe smoking always seems to converge to short sessions of smoke inhalation, very much like cigarettes. Perhaps I am too unsophisticated to be reformed.

But on to the topic.

I seem to be very sensitive to various types of tobacco. Here is a list of what I have tried and my experiences with each:

I am envious of those who can smoke any tobaccos. Until then the search continues for the ideal tobacco smoke
I’m most surprised 1Q did anything to you when you inhaled it. It could be taking in all of those casings and toppings directly into you lungs.

I know other people have mentioned to stop inhaling, but really these suggestions are made for a few reasons. First, you’re inhaling a lot of stuff that you might not find in regular cigarettes that no one had tested or regulated, because it wasn’t intended to be used that way. I’d be interested in what les to cigarettes being inhaled. Were they marketed with that suggestion?
Also, when you stop inhaling them, you’ll be able to better taste them. I used pipes to also get quit the cigs, and it wasn’t till I also stopped cigarettes fully and stopped inhaling that I could really taste the tobaccos. I attribute this to overwhelming your senses when inhaled. YMMV

Are you crazy? Ha ha, youre right here in the looney bin with the rest of us. So, enjoy it!

Reactions: RookieGuy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

But on to the topic.

Every single one of those conditions is a side effect of nicotine. As others have suggested, stop inhaling.

I'd suggest setting aside some time 30-60 minutes after dinner, sit down with just half a bowl loaded and something to drink. (Any drink for now. Water, coffee, tea, soda, gatorade, whisky, whiskey, brandy, etc. your choice.) let the tobacco dry for a bit. It shouldn't clump together when you lightly pinch it. Pack it loose than you'd think necessary. I'd suggest a gravity fill to the rim and then tamp it down with little more than the weight of the tamper to get started. Relax and concentrate on just cadence and sipping. If it goes out just relight it.

Based on your statements above I'd suggest either the Half&Half or the 1Q. Also make sure you have plenty of good ventilation. Sit outdoors if you're able to.

I don't use my lungs in any way to draw smoke from the pipe.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area

But on to the topic.

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but 1Q uses Burley for their Cavendish. In fact, I can’t think of any American Aromatics off the top of my head that DON’T use Burley for their Cavendish. Plenty of European blends use Virginia based Cavendish though.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I’m most surprised 1Q did anything to you when you inhaled it. It could be taking in all of those casings and toppings directly into you lungs.

I know other people have mentioned to stop inhaling, but really these suggestions are made for a few reasons. First, you’re inhaling a lot of stuff that you might not find in regular cigarettes that no one had tested or regulated, because it wasn’t intended to be used that way. I’d be interested in what les to cigarettes being inhaled. Were they marketed with that suggestion?
Also, when you stop inhaling them, you’ll be able to better taste them. I used pipes to also get quit the cigs, and it wasn’t till I also stopped cigarettes fully and stopped inhaling that I could really taste the tobaccos. I attribute this to overwhelming your senses when inhaled. YMMV

Are you crazy? Ha ha, youre right here in the looney bin with the rest of us. So, enjoy it!
That's great advice. But it really ain't easy. I do the same thing. Two or three times a week, I'll accidentally inhale a little bit, especially when lighting it. I'll puff harder than it needs. I've been a cigarette smoker for 25 years. It's hard to turn on a dime when the thousands, hundreds of thousands of times you've applied flame to tobacco. It's learning a counterintuitive skill, like riding a motorcycle.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I take at least 1 big inhale every bowl, Perique is the worst offender for me, just sends me into a coughing fit. Un aged Burley can be a bit rough around the edges when inhaled also, at least to me.

Reactions: RookieGuy