PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fiver5

Lurker
Sep 6, 2021
Hi all, I just picked up my first Dunhill from a local add and I'm having some difficulty identifying it.
The markings are as follows:

60/1 DUNHILL SHELL Made in England 6(underscored),
Next line:
PATENT No 417574/34

I've looked at Pipedia but still uncertain of what all the markings mean (shape, size, year, etc.)

Also it has a stinger that I'm not sure about, it seems to go well into the bowl which somehow doesn't seem right to me (I could and probably am wrong?). I had no idea Dunhill's had stingers, is thus something most owners discard or are they kept in?

Any help is much appreciated. 20211023_170441.jpg20211023_171345.jpg20211023_171413.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi all, I just picked up my first Dunhill

Also it has a stinger that I'm not sure about, it seems to go well into the bowl which somehow doesn't seem right to me (I could and probably am wrong?). I had no idea Dunhill's had stingers, is thus something most owners discard or are they kept in?

Any help is much appreciated. View attachment 104394
That is an original Dunhill stinger, and absolutely correct for the pipe.
Its easily removed (just pull it out) if you don't like smoking with stingers.
I'd advise keeping it, in case you wish to sell the pipe later on - maintains its authenticity

Reactions: Ahi Ka and Fiver5

Fiver5

Lurker
Sep 6, 2021
That is an original Dunhill stinger, and absolutely correct for the pipe.
Its easily removed (just pull it out) if you don't like smoking with stingers.
I'd advise keeping it, in case you wish to sell the pipe later on - maintains its authenticity
It seems odd that it goes well into the bowl, in fact right to the back of the bowl.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
From the chart, that looks to be a 1946. (Dunhill aligned shell, suffix plus 1940).
The underlined 6 I think did signify the filter tube.

Dunhills came with tubes, a filter of sorts.

But, I've never seen a shouldered tube like yours, or one that extends so far into the bowl. So, that might be a replacement.

Typically tubes look like this:

1635036345711.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahi Ka

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
The inner tubes are a nod back to the time before pipe cleaners were a thing and these were practical and useful. Today, I just remove them when buying a pipe and store them in the pipe's box in a closet. Before pipe cleaners, you could remove these periodically, and boil the crud out of them and then stick them back in the shank for basically a new-again, open draft. They've never been used for or referred to as a stinger.

Reactions: Fiver5

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Almost ashamed to say I paid $50 Canadian for 3 pipes, the others are a vintage Dr Grabow (I'm guessing it's vintage, it also has a PAT No), the other is a novelty boot shaped pipe.
Great find! Does your grabow have the propeller or spade mark on the stem? And does it say linkman’s?