New Cigars
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hi all - I am interested in a desktop that won't break the bank and was recently looking at this acrylic one on amazon - any opinion/experience with this or other acrylic humidors? - thanks!

note - i have my own accurate hygrometer so I don't care about accuracy of what comes with a humidor just that it seals well let's me gaze on my beautiful sticks as i work away at my desk

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Looks good, my only concern would be if it was exposed to direct sunlight. I have an old generic JR Cigars one that I leave a boveda in for "ready use" cigars. Everything else is in super high tech airtight temperature moderating storage units. Actually it's probably easier to just say Igloo coolers :)

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
I bought this sometime in 2019. Holding up nicely so far

Mantello Cigar Humidor for 100 Cigars - Large Glass-Top Cigar Humidor Humidifier Box- with Hygrometer & Removable Cedar Tray - These Cigar Cases Make Great Cigar Gifts for Men - Holds 50-100 Cigars https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085EJPF...abc_7H9BABVA7DK0JQ3A895W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I like the look of that for sure. In fact I almost picked one up last week. Just worried about wood and seals leaking. Any other highlander advise me on wood humidors at 8000 feet?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'd go with the advice given so far - get one that's made of wood, and lined with Spanish cedar.

If you have a good hygrometer, keeping it at the right humidity should not present too much of a problem once you have the initial humidity level settled. There are so many good options to maintain the optimal humidity these days.

When you look at the average cost of a good cigar, the cost of a desktop humidifier is not excessive. Not unless you are looking at the creme de la creme eg an Elie Bleu

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I highly recommend Elie Bleu humidors (been an owner since the '90s)—unfortunately, they're pretty expensive by most standards. As I recall, they age their wood for about ten years before they make their humidors, so, their wood is very stable—you shouldn't run into problems with warping, although I can't say what the altitude of 8,000 feet will do.

I
I'd go with the advice given so far - get one that's made of wood, and lined with Spanish cedar.

If you have a good hygrometer, keeping it at the right humidity should not present too much of a problem once you have the initial humidity level settled. There are so many good options to maintain the optimal humidity these days.

When you look at the average cost of a good cigar, the cost of a desktop humidifier is not excessive. Not unless you are looking at the creme de la creme eg an Elie Bleu

its all good advice for sure and it’s not the cost. Im happy to pay $100 or more if the thing wont leak but i have read some bad reviews about some not holding humidity levels. Now that said lucite it impervious and will not warp. My concern is being at 8000 feet with humidity at 15% or less and that gradient causing issues. Maybe i am just being anal. I currently use triple zip locks and boveda and maintain a perfect 69%. But that is sooooooo lame. Lol. Thanks guys for the advice. Much appreciated