PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Since I've been here, I've carved a very casual documentary of my pipe journey through a ragged series of reviews.

If you search "First Impression" under my screen name, thirty entries will bequeath unto you, 29 times more than you care to know, my opinion of something. This is the first installment of what I'm calling the "Second Look" series.

I've not yet smoked everything and I still enjoy mostly "non-aro's", but now I've been around a few of the blocks and am revisiting territory.

This evening/morning, I jammed FoggyMountain's Hilson Vintage Panel full of Drexel VIII flakes.

1646298866812.png

These pouches are from 2016. I must have gotten them from the digital bargain bin in 2018. They were tossed, sealed, into the strategic reserve.

From the high tech postal flat rate cellaring device, I extracted a pouch 3 or 4 month ago and had a bowl. This is my 3rd bowl since opening the pouch. Slightly dry, heading from rubbery towards brittle, it broke/rubbed into a pile of fragmented cubes.

It lit with ease and tasted EXACTLY like it did, start and finish, a year ago during first sampling, It's a simple VaPer. It claims no additions. I first suspected a humectant back then, but am unsure now.

Perique on the sweeter, fruity end with just enough mild pepper to compliment, swirls around a candied cherry minded Virginia.

That's it.

No roller coaster of swirling hints and notes to hunt. One need not strike pensive statures and utter profound regurgitations. Go read the paper or something.

This is the Carter Hall or Granger of VaPers. Consistently good without striving for greatness, and happy to do it.

No moisture issues, no tongue bite. Not much nic hit in this small pipe. Easy to tame and balance the coals. Indecisively, I have water, Flor De Cana rum and Pukka Green Tea on the side.

It don't care. "Bring it!", it snarls.

A few lights and tamps are the extent of the drama. Like many blends, it melds nicely in the second half and loses what little edge it may have had.

This is one you can share with your "noobie" friend or chuck into the pickup truck glove box for odd emergencies.

Or, you can sit bleary eyed in front of your laptop and spew yet another opinion onto your unsuspecting digital friends...

Verdict: GET SOME

1646299418457.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I picked up a pouch of Drexel VIII at a great price.

It came unsealed and extremely dry. The taste was hot air and I didn't enjoy it. My rehydration failed, leaving me disappointed.

I'm glad someone succeeded where I didn't.

Just my thoughts, but wouldn't pick up another pouch.

Reactions: jaytex1969

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I got a sample pouch of that free with an order from somewhere several years ago. Thought it was the worst tobacco I'd ever had in my life. I'll spare any reader comparisons with vile substances, but it was completely unsmokable, even as a mixer. Wonder if mine was tainted somehow, and they were just giving it away as a show of quasi-generosity?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I've smoked a couple pouches of it. One was great, an uncomplicated but enjoyable no frills vaper.

The other was completely dried and half powdered when it arrived, I rehydrated it and it was ok, but ended up adding a pinch of Latakia and liked it even more.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I too got a free sample of it a few years ago, and promptly jarred it up and stuck it in the back corner of the cellar. I’ve come close to opening it a few times, but always held off. I’m gonna give it few more years just for kicks.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Drexel VIII was my first flake and my first VaPer. I liked it quite a bit for the tobacco-forward flavors and raisin undertones. It led me to buy more flakes and VaPers that I've thoroughly enjoyed, but I bought couple more pouches of DVIII and jarred them for later. They already have 5 years on them, so maybe there won't be a lot more change, but I do stick my nose in occasionally and it still smells great. Looking forward to getting back to it when the weather warms.