PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Nah, my dogs cool with it. But his three Cohiba a day habit is financially killing me. And his Leonard Cohen addiction is annoying as hell as well. Imagine listening to Hallelujah three times a day everyday?
View attachment 135574
I will give you $20 for this dog.

I just want to be able to say that, on a thread about dogs and secondhand smoke, I bought a secondhand dog that smokes.

OK, I'll see myself out.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If you dig deep into the studies done on second hand smoke, a lot of the panic and fear disappears. There is most certainly an active movement to demonize the smoker, and they grossly overinflate the harm of SHS. I'm certainly not saying there is no health impact, but it is fairly minimal according to numerous large studies. If anyone is interested in it, Christopher Snowdon has a masterful work on the history of anti smoking advocates called "Velvet Glove, Iron Fist". He doesn't argue that smoking is healthy, but rather pokes holes in the mainstream narrative that second hand smoke is just as deadly or whatever.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Some people have told me that second-hand smoke is even worse for you than first-hand smoke, which I frankly think is ridiculous. It's not like you're breathing in mouthfuls of smoke directly from a cigarette.

Reactions: Reggie and jiminy

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Some people have told me that second-hand smoke is even worse for you than first-hand smoke, which I frankly think is ridiculous. It's not like you're breathing in mouthfuls of smoke directly from a cigarette.
Yeah, I've heard that argument too. It's completely illogical, as the amount of smoke you inhale second hand is generally very minimal. I'm not sure if you heard of the third hand smoke argument? It was put forward that smoke that worked its way into clothes, rugs, vehicles, etc., were even worse for your health! That is, I think, was laughed out of the scientific realm

Second hand smoke does not affect species with fundamentally shorter life spans to any significant degree. I am sure there are a few anomalies but it usually takes many years for the negative affects to emerge and dogs, cats, etc just do not live that long. Now turtles and parrots may be another story ;)

Reactions: Reggie
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, is secondhand smoke good for pets? I sense the thread is some sort of self-vindication for smoking. Folks should do what they want and own what they do.

I admit to smoking less these days. While I still enjoy reading everyone's posts and think this is the best ever forum, I am just not as drawn to smoking. That said, I may have a bowl today...LOL!!