PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi all,

Working at home for the last couple of months has really allowed me to improve my pipe smoking technique. I have learned to slow down, to sip at the pipe and to not pack too tightly. The first half of the ball generally goes very well, with few to no relights.

But by the time I get down to the second half of the bowl, I am constantly needing to relight the pipe. This happens in a number of different pipes and with different tobaccos. I am still enjoying the smoke, but I have to put much more conscious effort into smoking the second half in the first half.

So I am curious. Do people change the way the smoke for the second half of the bowl? In other words, do they increase their cadence, do they blow more smoke back into the bowl to try and keep it lit, or are there any other tricks of the trade that seem to work to keep the pipe lit?

This happens in a number of different pipes and with different tobaccos. I am still enjoying the smoke, but I have to put much more conscious effort into smoking the second half in the first half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ofafeather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pack lighter. If it's too tight to stay lit half way down the chamber, smack the open end of the chamber against your palm to loosen things up a bit. Tap the heel of the pipe against your palm to settle everything and relight.

Reactions: DAR and ofafeather

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Pack lighter. If it's too tight to stay lit half way down the chamber, smack the open end of the chamber against your palm to loosen things up a bit. Tap the heel of the pipe against your palm to settle everything and relight.
That’s one way I’ve been dealing with it, thanks to your advice earlier this month. Definitely helps to reset the bowl!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All true, and I'd second hoosier' on the tamping. As the first half of the bowl burns the ember can burn down without ready fuel, so if you bring the unburned leaf together lightly, the ember will pick up the slack and burn as well in the second half. Just gently settle the unburned leaf around the edges of the bowl into the bottom half and center. Don't apply a lot of pressure. The ember needs to breathe. I think I tamp at least twice with most bowls.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
when I get to that point Which isn't the second half but last bit. I smoke longer and lighter. Take longer draws but very slowly. Almost forgot the most important part. Not to leave time between drags or much time. Like constant light action is what I'am talking about.
Bingo!! This is brilliant advice! I loaded up my bowl with Watch City's 558. For the first half of the bowl, I continued to sip somewhat infrequently to really try and draw out the flavors. But todays the bottom, I really went for longer, slow draws, instead of just sipping. This made a huge difference in keeping the bowl lit. That, and upping the cadence more. And I was able to smoke pretty close to the end of the tobacco.

Thanks so much for this!

Reactions: anotherbob

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Harvise, it sounds like you are on the right track with drawing it out. One thing that has been mentioned, and is of the utmost importance, is having the tobacco dried to the proper level before smoking. Nearly all tobacco comes from the manufacturer too wet, and it needs to be spread out thin on a piece of paper, or a tray, until it feels dry (but not crispy). I've been smoking a pipe since 1979, and it took me a while to figure this out too. The tobacco should not clump together when pinched, or feel cool in the hand when squeezed. It should feel dry, but still be pliable. Having the tobacco dried properly will bring out the best flavor, as well as eliminate any gurgling or relighting difficulties. Good luck, keep pacing your cadence, and most of all Enjoy Yourself!