PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
This is my second cob mod (the first is on the right in my avatar). I just started modding cobs and have done one diy briar kit.
I have never had an artistic bone in my body. Hell, I can’t even draw a straight line with a ruler. I do find this for fun. I expect to do more of these as I get closer to retirement.
I have owned several homes and have not been emotionally attached to any of them. My current (and final) house I have done a lot of remodeling myself. I love this house. I think that I get some
ObuKbzW.jpg
of the same satisfaction from making these crude vessels.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks bent1. It is a ‘forever stem’ from Walker Briar Works. They have quite the selection. They are online at their name .com

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks. Just gave it the maiden voyage. The stem is acrylic. It is as comfortable as any other. I do put softy bits on all my pipes, mainly just to preserve the bit in case I clench too hard.
I used multiple layers of plaster of Paris, I sanded and stained after each layer. I started the “rustication” just prior to the final layer which, is Dust Control patch and repair compound. It was lacquered and waxed after.
It looks heavier than it is but, it has a little more weight due to the added material. I wanted a thicker bowl for the insulating properties. The first bowl did smoke cool. I think I might go thinner for smaller bowls (Washington’s etc.).

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Sherm
I used Fiebing’s Pro Dye, Saddle Tan and Dark Brown. I did dilute them some with alcohol on various coats. The tan was definitely diluted on the rim. The stem was the Forever Stem Fire Swirl Straight.
I should give some credit for the plaster idea to a You Tuber named Badger Piper. I saw that, he put a thin coat on some cobs to get them to take some of the colors he wanted. He, also, mentioned using drywall patch. I thought that multiple coats might make a canvas for some rustication. I believe that there can be a lot of future experimentation with, shapes, color, and texture. It should be fun.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
jpmcjr, I am not the most knowledgeable guy about the differences but, it is basically a brand of a premixed drywall joint compound It is putty or clay like and easy to mold.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I just wanted to add that, the Dust Control Patch works real well for the final coating because it fills any cracks that may have developed as the plaster layers dry, it dries to a harder finish than the plaster, and the dustless component is an added plus when it comes to finishing.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I think the looks of the cob with saddle tan stain...or green make them look mod. enough for me.
IlMkzivl.jpg

JsX09LNl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.