PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Hello Gents,
I was wondering what some other members do when they want to smoke a second bowl in the evening? Do you go through the processes of swabbing and cleaning out your pipe as you do when you are done with it for the night? Or maybe a pared down cleaning process?? Or do you just pack another bowl and smoke away??? Or perhaps do you pull out a different pipe altogether?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I would probably pull out another pipe, but, if I only had one pipe, I wouldn't hesitate to smoke another bowl out of it.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I usually grab a second pipe! I have a nice selection of pipes and they are less than a foot away from me when I smoke, so it is easier for me to get another pipe out than to clean the one I just smoked!
Choch, please tell me that is your place of residence behind you in your picture!?! That is gorgeous!!!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Only thing to watch out for is that rapid heating, cooling, heating, cooling, might cause the bowl to crack. When I was young and foolish, I cracked the bowl on a danish freehand that I really liked, and it became a peice of driftwood afterwards. But I was smoking the thing 10 times a day.

These days, one or two bowls per day in a single pipe is my limit, and I rotate through three or four pipes a day. And I just pack and go.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I usually don't have two bowls in a row, but every once in a blue moon if I feel like it I will just fill the bowl up and continue the smoke. If I do that I always let the pipe rest for an extra day before smoking it again though.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
If I'm smoking a similar blend, I'll just swab with a pipe-cleaner, load and go - after all, our fathers and grandfathers smoked their pipes from dawn to dusk with nary a thought. Of course, I differ from my elders in that I have a few pipes, and will let each one rest for a couple of days between action.

If I am switching genres (IE from Latakia to VaPer), I'll reach for another pipe just so that I'm not dealing with muddled flavours.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
If I choose to use the same pipe for one reason or another it will depend on the pipe, if it needs to be cleaned out then I use a pipe cleaner if not I’ll just blow through it hard a couple times and then reloaded. I have enough pipes to change after every bowl, but sometime I enjoy using the same pipe. I’m not sure why maybe it’s me being nostalgic or maybe the last bowl was just so good I want to repeat.
Pipe smokers have many beliefs and rituals developed and passed along over the years that have propagated our community thanks in large part to easy access through the internet to forum such as this one and more recently You Tube.
Now I’m not here to knock, putdown, or disrespect what tobacco or pipe you choose to own and enjoy nor am I hear to disrespect how you choose to clean, rotate or take care of you beloved pipes. I’m 54 and smoked my first tobacco pipe back in the late ‘70’s when I was 17 and I often wonder if I would have started smoking a pipe knowing what I do now. I’m afraid it may have just seemed like too much of a hassle.
I have adopted and developed many of the rituals and habits that we now consider the correct way to pack, smoke, clean, and rotate our pipes but I do on occasion miss the simpler times when I would just stick the bowl in a drug store bought pouch of CBW or SWR and poke it full with my index finger and light up and puff away on the same pipe day after day.
LOL… I can remember onetime on a ranch in N.E. Colorado when it was so cold that the moisture in the stem of my pipe froze to the point I had to warm the pipe up inside my jacket before I could run a pipe cleaner through it and reload.
I’ve wanted to post these comments for quite some time so thanks for indulging me.
Happy puffing my friends,

JC :puffy:

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Most of the time I grab a second pipe but on ocassion I'll smoke a second bowl in the same pipe. The prep time for the second depends on how the first smoked.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Grandpa usually had two pipes. Most often a Dr Grabow Viking and a cob. Those got smoked in no real rotation, just how he grabbed them. As he beat them to death each was replaced by another like it.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Grandpa usually had two pipes. Most often a Dr Grabow Viking and a cob. Those got smoked in no real rotation, just how he grabbed them. As he beat them to death each was replaced by another like it.
I was speaking with my grandfather just the other day about 7 day sets - he couldn't fathom owning 7 pipes; he figures the most he owned at any given time was 4, however he only really had a rotation of two. One pipe for every-day use, and one pipe for Sunday.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Gents, thank all of you for your kind replies. I tend to pull out a differnet pipe too, but of late if i'm smoking more of the same tobacco, I do a partial clean, pack it and light up.
Bubba, I wish that were my house! That's Château de Monbazillac in southwestern France near Bordeaux, where a famous sweet desert wine called Monbazillac is made (it's similar to Sauternes, which is in the same region). I visited there a couple of years ago with a wine importer that I work with. That pad is a little out of my price range!!

Status
Not open for further replies.