PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I purchased this pipe from cool vintage shop near my office. $15.00. JPS I found out is Jon's Pipe Shop of Missouri. Not sure who makes them for Jon's, but the walls are thick, and stem cleaned up well. Tested the crazy glue on a scuffed slanted outer rim of the bowl (towards the back of the bowl) Tried sanding all the way down and staining for the first time. Also, first time with drill mounted buffer (White Diamond then Carnauba, then clean buffing wheel) Not to shabby. I like this, and can see the attraction to restoration.

I'll see how it smokes in a day or so. Letting it dry out internally. Lots of alcohol, salt scrub, in there.

One final question, I bought Fiebings leather dye. But, it is non-flamable? Water based? Is this the same as the Fiebings I see everywhere else? It dries pretty quick, just a few minutes between coats. No harm is this is there?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
One final question, I bought Fiebings leather dye. But, it is non-flamable? Water based? Is this the same as the Fiebings I see everywhere else? It dries pretty quick, just a few minutes between coats. No harm is this is there?

Non-flammable? No, it's alcohol based (why it "dries" so quickly). It can be diluted with isopropyl alcohol. Sometimes building up with lighter coats is the best way to get the color tone you are looking for, while still allowing the grain figuring to show.

:)

Reactions: mau1

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They do make a water based dye. I didn’t realize it until I got it home from Michaels craft store. I will get some of the alcohol based in the future if this doesn’t hold very well. Plus who doesn’t love lighting stuff on fire!:ROFLMAO:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Well done! Some of the restore threads on here encouraged me to really clean up some of my pipes, which I did over the weekend.

A paper towel and a dab of toothpaste works wonders to remove light oxidization on vulcanite stems, and I think all of us know about the spit and paper towel routine to get the buildup off the top of a bowl. I always keep my pipes clean with a few pipe cleaners after each smoke, as well as the occasional deeper cleaning with 190 proof alcohol, but this added a whole extra layer of "clean" to my pipes! They look great, and I'm looking forward to smoking them this week.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Plus who doesn’t love lighting stuff on fire!
Flaming the stain is just for show. The medium is what deposits the pigment into the wood. Once it dries, the remaining pigment is just sitting on the surface waiting to be buffed off. Speeding up the evaporation by setting the alcohol alight might look cool, but it's counterproductive.

Reactions: dmcmtk and shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.