Seattle Pipe Club - When Did Their Tins Change?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Accessories
24 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I have an older style tin and am trying figure out how old it might be. It seems there are three versions, and I have the one on top:
6Yw2Muo.jpg

k4jNZrM.jpg

P400Nz1.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the earliest tins from introduction up to about 2010 were date stamped. The bottom pic represents the new label, which was introduced in mid 2015.

kckijana

Lurker
Oct 2, 2012
Top one with black lid was at least 2-3 years ago, so I think jguss is correct. Wish I had some with date stamps.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
So the middle is oldest. Makes sense - the top and bottom look like the same tin with a different label. Thanks, guys.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
The middle one looks like a McClelland tin. I think I remember reading the first iteration of Mississippi River was made with McClelland virginias, and I'm guessing tinned by them. And there was bulk. Then things changed, no more bulk, and the tins disappeared from the shelves too. Then it came back and everybody complained it was not the same tobacco. I think this is when Sutliff started tinning it. Compare those tins to Sutliff tins....same thing.
Now, I'm no expert on the production timeline of MR, and I'm sure there are plenty here that are, so correct me if I'm wrong. But that is how I remember the story going...

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I have the top and bottom tins. I missed out on the older stuff in the middle. I was more into building a huge bulk mason jar hoard at the time with a tin or two here and there.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The top one being called a "tin" is questionable, as most of its components were paper. The integrity of such "tins" for aging have been talked about in many forum posts.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
The top one being called a "tin" is questionable, as most of its components were paper. The integrity of such "tins" for aging have been talked about in many forum posts.
I think it's the same as the bottom (current) one, no? Just with a different label.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I have not smoked much of the seattle pipe club blends, I only have smoked Plum Pudding, Deception Pass, Mississippi River,

and Pike Place. I would love to try all of the blends they offer.
I have often wondered what tobacco company actually blends up all the different tobacco's and tins it for sale?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have often wondered what tobacco company actually blends up all the different tobacco's and tins it for sale?
Sutliff does for Seattle Pipe Club blends as well as many marques including Russ's blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As sable' has pointed out, a number of the premium blends rely on Sutliff, and their own products are quite good. Their Westminster, not the GLP version, is a good English blend, said to resemble Dunhill London Mixture, and their Lord Nelson is another good English blend. Some of their aromatics like Great Outdoors and others are intelligently blended tobacco forward examples of what an aromatic can properly be. sable' does some accurate laughing up his sleeve at people who write Sutliff off. They do good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.