PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Been on a kick of watching the Robert Downey Jr. flick Sherlock Holmes and in my ever present search for a pipe similar to one of the variety he smokes (believe it's been mostly narrowed to a Dunhill), I keep perusing the virtual shelves of all the usual suspects for one like it. Never fails that I can't seem to find something that's very close without a super splurge. Well every single time I look, I end up bringing something else lost and looking for a home into my beloved collection.

This time I spotted this lovely piece over at Smoking Pipes. It's a Ropp Vintage Sandblasted 29C, which is a lovely little thing with a billiard bowl and quite like a lovat shape. I've been wanting a lovat for a while and this one isn't exactly a true lovat, but it's still satisfying that itch. It also came with a horn stem, so all in all, not bad of a pickup. It added a Ropp, lovat, and horn stem pipe to my collection.

Here she is framed with the newest tin I popped for the occasion: C&D Carolina Red Flake and it sure is pretty tasty. This pipe smoke smooth and cool and I'm loving it already.

20200424_025024.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Someone's hijacked his account! Stranger danger! rotf
Oh? Maybe? They shaved him too! No more beard when I woke up on an island surrounded by beautiful women, but then I woke up from that dream and realized it was just Bill and his stupid squeaking parrot and I think Anthony was doing a jig by the water mumbling something about Black Frigate dinghys for sale without the sail.... rotf

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
It was speculated some time ago to be a 4303.

View attachment 27723

Is the draw in the Ropp tight?
Well, it looks a lot like mine except the shank is a little longer on mine. The draw was a slight bit tighter than I expected, but I was contributing it to a tighter hole in the stem. The bit it a lot smaller than I'm used to, but still very comfortable to clench.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
She looks great! How thick are the horned stems? Larger than 4mil? I have also been eyeing the ropp and smaller billiards with less than a 1.5 in bowl but worried that the bite will be too thick..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was looking at those horn stem Ropps a few days ago. They're attractive. With flake, coin, plug, or rope, you can gt a full length smoke out of modest chambers.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.