PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I just picked up a Sea-Dog all briar pipe. It is a one piece all briar pipe. I think they were made by GBD or Oppenheimer, but so far I have found very little information, although I do know more about GBD now. The only markings on the pipe are:

Sea-Dog (fancy script in an arch) (over)
Reg. (over)
MADE IN FRANCE

The draw hole is the round orifice-style (aka "button hole").

Was wondering what decade(s) they made these pipes and were they just novelty pipes? Thanks

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019

Yes, this pipe looks just like the one I have. I was posting because this was the only information I had found on them and figured maybe someone else on the forum owned one and knew more information. Also, this forum seems to be a good place to talk and trade information about common and unusual pipes. specially now that everyone has more time with all our social distancing. Looks like the pipe was marketed during the 1950s, but I was trying to learn if it was offered during an earlier decade.

Reactions: seldom

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I have one as well, maybe unsmoked. I haven't smoke it. I was going to post up the catalog page but pipedia has already done that.

Does your pipe look exactly like the picture from Valitchka or is it different? Any other hands-on experiences with yours? I am in the process of cleaning mine and then going to break it in. Mine has almost no cake buildup and looks like it was well cared for or hardly used. I am starting to like these orifice/button hole stems, but my others are not all briar so I will have to be more careful with this one for fear of clinching to hard and cracking the wood. I was going to devote it to a Navy Flake or maybe some C&D Sea Dog tobacco ????
I know, I know....Black Frigate (but that one kicks my butt because I am a NicWimp)

Status
Not open for further replies.