PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rmaschino

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Smoked a pipe many years ago and have recently taken it back up. So I bought a pipe that came with the screens out balls of metal that one can put in the bottom of the pipe. Which from my understanding is supposed to protect the bottom from burning and make smoking the pipe easier. Does anyone use these? And want if your opinion of them?

Reactions: kcghost

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Smoked a pipe many years ago and have recently taken it back up. So I bought a pipe that came with the screens out balls of metal that one can put in the bottom of the pipe. Which from my understanding is supposed to protect the bottom from burning and make smoking the pipe easier. Does anyone use these? And want if your opinion of them?
nah- those are typically for finer particulates
Unless you plan on smoking 'shake' or snuff it's unnecessary
interestingly Missouri Meerschaum Cobs manufactures pipes for pot smokers called Cannicob line - those pipes(which are the same as the smaller cobs) come with screens

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
You can use a screen, there is no problem with it, it can help make sure there is an air pocket and nothing is compacted at the bottom of the bowl and often makes the smoke cooler and easier. I think the idea that screens are kind of like training wheels is very apt description.

Protect? Nah I doubt they really offer any protection. I used to use screens alot more, but one reason I stopped using them as much is that there are little ends at the bottom that are sharp and will likely scratch, scrape, and damage a bowl. I would say as far as protection goes, they're more of a risk than a hedge, especially on old briar. One place I find them especially useful is for cob pipes where that gd stupid wooden stem is sticking out of the bottom of the bowl - but are otherwise excellent smokers.

Cleaning? You just grab them, put a little water on, and run a stiff brush across them. Honestly easier to clean than a stem or bowl.

Smoke quality? I think the smoke session quality is largely improved by a screen, despite what naysayers will tell you. I feel like I get the "down to white ash" thing happening with a screen much more consistently than without. You don't get the bowl goop, and the wet smoke as easily either. There are alot of things solved by a screen that traditionalists have just learned to tolerate or claim they are so talented and experienced at smoking that it never happens to them anyway. When people dump half a bowl of unburn tobacco and write it off as dottle, I think they're just using the strands as a screen and throwing away good stuff.

Screen hate? Pipe snobs shun them I think partly because it's one more fiddly thing they don't want to deal with, and because it's not traditional. Not dissimilar to filters. They're not wholly irrational reasons. You don't want to have to mess about with filters and screens, etc if you're out and about, for example.

Ultimately, they make them for a reason, lots of people use them for a reason. Sometimes you don't want to play Russian roulette with pipe packing and the screens usually give a solid consistent smoke.

Just my 2c

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can use a screen, there is no problem with it, it can help make sure there is an air pocket and nothing is compacted at the bottom of the bowl and often makes the smoke cooler and easier. I think the idea that screens are kind of like training wheels is very apt description.
@TimeKiller,
A well thought-out and rational answer. I will try a screen with my very poorly drilled ivory "white elephant" of a pipe that has sat unsmoked for years.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Screens were not meant for Briar pipes, as proper packing will help prevent bits from going into your mouth. Like cutting a cigar you would puff on it a few times to get any loose bits out, then light up. Would you put a screen on the cap of your favorite cigar?

It’s not screen hate, as screens can prevent proper cake build up. If you leave them in without proper cleaning then you have blockage. This is the first I’ve ever even heard of them being used in actual tobacco use. Screens weren’t around hundreds of years ago, and if you look back through advertisements they never mention screens. Other filters yes, but not screens even in meers.

Mar 1, 2014
When you buy pipes from China they always send a few screen balls, they work as advertised, reducing dottle and preventing tobacco crumbs from getting in your mouth.
The only reason I'd use something else is with a disposable media you get to just dump the whole thing and not worry about saving the screen ball from the ashtray.
You can buy Activated Charcoal for $5/lb on Amazon, it will definitely help reduce dottle.

Pep

Lurker
Jun 7, 2021
Sarawak, Borneo
Personally I only uses 'em of some of me corncobs but Some of the doodles, flakes and moisture will still get trap down there, so I had stop using them.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
if you look back through advertisements they never mention screens
Granted, but smoking pipes had almost every kind of gimmick you can imagine. Filters, stingers, carburetors, double bowls, mag tops, even saw one with a rubber hose that you were supposed to install in your car dash to puff on while you were driving.

Few/No screen ads might have been manufacturing or economic limitation more than anything, but there was definitely some irritations and annoyances with pipe smoking that these things were always trying to solve.

Honestly reading some of the old ads makes me feel like, the more things change, the more they stay the same kind of feeling hahah!!

Lack of ads aside, there was definitely some experimentation with the concept. I own a medico guardsman with a built in screen, similar to pic, for example. It's not a completely alien idea by any stretch.

Attachments

• medico-guardsman.jpg
    medico-guardsman.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: jeepnewbie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Granted, but smoking pipes had almost every kind of gimmick you can imagine. Filters, stingers, carburetors, double bowls, mag tops, even saw one with a rubber hose that you were supposed to install in your car dash to puff on while you were driving.

Few/No screen ads might have been manufacturing or economic limitation more than anything, but there was definitely some irritations and annoyances with pipe smoking that these things were always trying to solve.

Honestly reading some of the old ads makes me feel like, the more things change, the more they stay the same kind of feeling hahah!!

Lack of ads aside, there was definitely some experimentation with the concept. I own a medico guardsman with a built in screen, similar to pic, for example. It's not a completely alien idea by any stretch.
looking at old ads. I also think people mostly picked up pipes without learning much about them at all. Especially when looking at the claims those ads made.

Reactions: jeepnewbie