PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I am always looking for estate pipes.it seems as if Etsy is an untapped resource. There are some sellers there who know the value in pipes, but I've picked up quite a few for under $50... Just sharing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
eBay can offer some outstanding deals, and just as easily, some truly terrible deals. My best single score was 12 pipes for $425 which consisted of a Barling Straightgrain pot in near mint condition, 4 Sasieni 8 dots and 4 sasieni 4 dots also in mint condition, a Comoy Blue Riband, a KBB Rivoli and a no name stamped "Algerian Briar". I also picked up another mint Comoy Blue Riband Canadian for $6, a Barling Quaint pot for $80, a beautiful Sasieni 8 Dot for a $40 buy in now, and assorted other buys.

But that was mostly a decade ago. If someone listed a "Lasieni" you could get a steal deal. Now if you type Lasieni, eBay takes you to the Sasieni listings. There are still buys out there for those who comb the listings daily, as I used to do, just not nearly as much.

And there are the often amusing sniper shootouts that end with pipe selling for anything from 4 to 10 times the market value.

It all comes down to who is looking on any given day. If two determined buyers get into a bidding duel, the seller makes out like a bandit.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
That was a killer find! I wonder what the next "big name" pipe will be in 10 years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wonder what the next "big name" pipe will be in 10 years.
Good question! With things going the way they are, it could be none. I've essentially stopped buying. I'm quite happy with what I have, and will probably start to cull the pile.
One of the best things to come out of my eBay experiences were the friendships I made with several sellers, which continue away from the marketplace.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
In10 years, you could be under arrest for “possession of tobacco paraphernalia” for getting pulled over with your favorite pipe in the car.
All convenience stores will sell a large selection of marijuana brands.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Watch out! I'm an outlaw. I drink milk after the exportation date, I remove the tags from pillows, I smoke a pipe in public. Stay away. I'll take you down with me if you are not careful!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Y'all don't pay any attention to trout. He likes his dream world & it doesn't hurt anybody, so we let him live in it. The only risk is winding up as crazy as he & I are, & I'm a much bigger & more visible target. We'll cover for you. :)
And Jesse, I know you -- you just said that about the 4-dots & Blue Riband & Barling to twist the knife in my side. -laugh-
B

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
The mountains are the only place I could hide from the Black Frigate Pirates! Thank goodness for the internet. I can find estate pipes and baccy. The stage delivers every two weeks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.