SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Given that the tenon is an insert my bet is it was molded and probably not drilled at all.
Before smoking the pipe last night I gave it a run through with the 9/64" tapered bit and barely anything came off the tenon.

On a side note I just got shipping confirmation for a Stanwell 185 from Italy (I'm a sucker for large bent egg shapes and these can be found with a very decent sandblast). In a few weeks we'll find out what Stanwell's modern standards are like.
Have you found anything about how a rubber can be cast, and then put through a vulcanized, heat/pressure, process? I’ve seen tires being done like this, and I vulcanize rubber for wax molds, but it sure seems like those small stems with delicate holes would be all warped and messed up. Acrylic, no problem, because that doesn’t require any processes. Just curious.

Mar 1, 2014
Have you found anything about how a rubber can be cast, and then put through a vulcanized, heat/pressure, process? I’ve seen tires being done like this, and I vulcanize rubber for wax molds, but it sure seems like those small stems with delicate holes would be all warped and messed up. Acrylic, no problem, because that doesn’t require any processes. Just curious.

Injection molding is usually done at high pressure, and I don't see any reason the mold couldn't be heated, no doubt the rubber is cured in the mold.
I assume industrial rubber cures faster than what most people would be handling: http://www.polymerdatabase.com/polymer chemistry/Common Vulc Accel.html

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Injection molding is usually done at high pressure, and I don't see any reason the mold couldn't be heated, no doubt the rubber is cured in the mold.
I assume industrial rubber cures faster than what most people would be handling: http://www.polymerdatabase.com/polymer chemistry/Common Vulc Accel.html
I don’t doubt you, but when you think about the numbers…. This being such a teeny tiny industry, with so many different companies supplying pipes. I wouldn’t think that the stem part of this industry would be any larger than the stummel part of production. And, smokingpipes insists that stummels are not being CAD based in production, still hand turned. It just boggles the mind that they’d invest so much in stem production and not stummels.

The majority of pipe smokers are still just Grabows/cobs and OTC/aromatics. I think the last numbers I heard were maybe 65,000(?) (maybe just US? Not sure) that were actually into collecting or buying pipes at a higher level.

Maybe they are outsourced to casting companies that also handle some other vulcanite products? Just seems so implausible.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
No, not drilled to button. That would make the button uncomfortable to clench for me. I want my button to thin as shit, with a reasonable amount of material above and below the slot.
Also, keep in mind that my stanies are rather old.

I’m not schooled enough in air flow dynamics to argue with you. But, something I do notice in all of my pipes is that the opening into the chamber is always less than the diameter of the draft in the shank of the stummel. And, the draft in the stem tapers to just before the button and then the funnel of the slot widens.
My very first pipe I made, and I am not saying that I am a great pipemaker now) but my very first pipe I drilled at whatever pimo sells as the largest bit, and it smokes like a wide open corncob. I hate it.
I have a Colding Danish pipe that has like a 2mm draft (apprx). Barely get a pipe cleaner through it, and it smokes as well as a Dunhill.

I think that there’s more to draft hole logic than just the diameter. That’s just me. And, I’m just a guy whole loves pipes. Big pipes, little pipes, wide pipes, long pipes, pipes pipes pipes.I declare that pipemakers know more than me. And, this is where I plant my flag. For better or worse. puffy
I see you mentioned a Colding pipe but can’t find it on pipedia. Are you familiar with them?