SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014

The headline for pipe manufacturer "Scott's Pipes" on Smokingpipes.com makes some bold claims, that they can make accessible and affordable pipes of similar quality to Scott's own personally handcrafted pipes.
Of course retail pictures would never tell the whole story, so after seeing a pipe in a shape I like, and at a reasonably affordable price, I decided to roll the dice and see for myself.
When it seems like 99% of pipes these days have almost exactly the same standards of drilling in the stem, no matter what price you pay (within my collection the Ser Jacopo, Radice, and Ashton pipes are all restricted to a 3mm draft hole through the stem, as are virtually all factory made pipes), I was highly skeptical about whether or not this $80 pipe would actually provide any meaningful improvement over what you get with a basic $46 Rossi.

Color me surprised.

30BCB3A6-47EE-47B3-ABFD-3116BB40E8C6.jpeg
34219788-46E8-4E47-8F59-1AE26CA32E49.jpeg

General aesthetics are, generally quite pleasing.
Not an exceptional sandblast but far from the worst, good fine details but mostly shallow depth, par for the course here.
There is no gap in the fit of the shank to stem, so fit and finish is about as good as I've seen on any pipe (and to be honest still better than some much more expensive pipes).

Now for the meat and potatoes.

Aerodynamics.
Is the draft hole drilled to the slot?
Yes, you can see the drilling for the main draft hole extends well into the slot.

6302C41C-683E-4984-A384-1CFE080D39C8.jpeg

But just hitting the slot with your draft hole is the bare minimum for an acceptable pipe stem, airflow doesn't have much chance to change from round to flat if that transition is limited to the last 5mm of the stem.

So how deep is the slot?

Very deep.

03D0FF4F-D3FE-41CB-BB9D-6BC71DD2CFDF.jpeg

Looking at the shadow of a pipecleaner you can see the slot was carved out about 15mm or 5/8" into the stem.
The depth of the slot is one of the biggest improvements that can be made in the draw of a pipe.

DCE44FE8-20D6-4AC2-9B24-814ADE0F9800.jpeg

There is a slight chamfer on the tenon, not as clean as some but it's still there.
Probing the airway I'd guess the main drilling is 9/64" or 3.5mm diameter, though it does taper to less than 1/8" or 3.175mm as a drill bit that size only reaches partway through the stem.

BD87F065-D699-4025-BC9D-FA58309B4214.jpeg

4A749EEC-923C-4779-8B78-0F28FE490C34.jpeg

Either they are using a tapered drill bit or they drill to 3.5mm partway and then step down to 3mm.
(Looking down the shaft the shadow in the airway is some swarf, unfortunately air blockages like those are all too common even if it's not technically a design flaw. I feel like factory pipes should all have the airway cleaned with a small wire brush as a finishing step).

Even though the slot and wide draft hole have been shaped to a very high standard, in a perfect world I would like to see both extended just a bit further. Right now there is a tiny length of the airway where the 3.5mm bore and the slot do not intersect, it's nitpicking to point it out but it has to be said.
Regardless, the overall effect of the drilling is not lost, air changes density much more easily than fluids like water so the draw on this pipe is still much easier than almost any other factory pipe that isn't a Missouri Meerschaum (the basic 80 cent plastic stems from Missouri Meeschaum have a HUGE airway that is meticulously designed for consistent airflow).

If you want a similar draw from another brand of Briar pipe in this price range, to my knowledge the only equivalent is Briarworks.
Overall there are a lot of similarities between the two companies and it's great to see the competition.
I'd have to give the edge to S. Klein right now though because Briarworks doesn't sell any equivalent to this pipe below $100. I have a cheaper Briarworks pipe and it's still a 3mm bore and basic slot, moving up in price I have a Briarworks "Icarus" from six years ago that is produced to very similar standards to what is seen here.
I assume the $50 pipes from Scott's Pipes would not be given the same attention to detail, but this "S. Klein Design" hits a nice middleground between the cheapest pipes and the Scott's Pipes "Handcrafted" line.

The shank is drilled to 4mm and the drilling is nice and clean.
4mm on the shank is reasonably common with both factory and handmade pipes, the wide bore shank is good for discouraging gurgle.

C3A6BC54-3632-49AC-B54D-E1520F68F5E9.jpeg

Finally the draft hole in the chamber is just about perfect, it doesn't exactly hit the chamber floor but this is close enough for my taste.
I don't quite know what to think of the chamber coating, it's a bit powdery.
This image is of the pipe new and unused but after smoking a bowl the chamber walls become smooth black and nothing is flaking off so it looks decent in use.

063C1A95-59DE-4190-822F-8973640BEA64.jpeg

The chamber measures 45mm deep and the overall bowl height is 52mm, so that leaves a wall thickness of 7mm at the heel, not too thick and not too thin.

Overall wall thickness starts with 5mm thick at the rim and expands to 9mm thick midway down the bowl, the chamber is mostly cylindrical with just a slight taper.

For now that concludes my patience for measuring things, which is pretty exhausting.

I love to see startup companies like this pushing boundaries and hopefully this is just a sign of things to come.

5AAF5D4D-EB1D-4CB1-B6AB-2E9D9E5509B9.jpeg
C736F381-319F-4814-8914-144104C36A20.jpeg

08755CE7-8250-4E59-A753-738D500D0240.jpeg

CFD1E3A0-1C85-44CB-B9B3-D8F52C07A08A.jpeg

83A45392-3B0E-4DD5-B485-B74CB95C7F26.jpeg

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
I had been eyeing scotts pipes before this post, then saw this post, then bought a scotts design. Started smoking it and bought a burner and an estate scotts handcrafted. Im still a pipe newb but other than cobs, probably one of the best bang for ur buck pipe available. If u like a more open draw, these are the pipes u want. I could be satisfied with these and cobs.

Now delete this post.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have found my Moonshine Pipes to be very open in the draw as well. I just had a look at the two I have and I think they are a 3 mm draft hole, but somehow still have a very open draw.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Mar 1, 2014
I had been eyeing scotts pipes before this post, then saw this post, then bought a scotts design. Started smoking it and bought a burner and an estate scotts handcrafted. Im still a pipe newb but other than cobs, probably one of the best bang for ur buck pipe available. If u like a more open draw, these are the pipes u want. I could be satisfied with these and cobs.

Now delete this post.
It might seem prudent to keep a good things to ourselves, but I've realized recently that this behavior is actually totally counter productive.
The pipemaking industry has capability and capacity to make an infinite amount of anything we want, any style of pipe of any design, but thus far it seems like no factory pipe manufacturer has ever tried to improve their pipe design because there has never been any competition within the industry based on the internal specifications of a pipe.

If demand for S. Klein Design pipes stays high, and if Scott's Pipes can expand to meet that demand, then the rest of the industry would eventually be forced to compete with the new standard and improvements in manufacturing quality would spread across the pipemaking industry like wildfire.

Or if people assume that these pipes will always remain scarce and hide its existence like buried treasure then the public at large will never discover how much better their regular factory pipes can and should be.

Mar 1, 2014
I have found my Moonshine Pipes to be very open in the draw as well. I just had a look at the two I have and I think they are a 3 mm draft hole, but somehow still have a very open draw.
Briarworks is an interesting case, my old Icarus pipe is arguably drilled better than this S. Klein Design pipe, but Icarus pipes went out of production a few years ago.
For whatever reason word never got out that Icarus branded pipes were well above average quality and now it seems Briarworks has resigned to just making more ordinary pipes under the "Moonshine" and "Classic" labels.
I don’t find them that attractive so it’s a pass from me anyway. More for others.
And this is likely key to why Icarus never took off, and could be one of the biggest challenges for Scott's Pipes.
Italian factories pump out huge quantities of every pipe shape imaginable, whereas American manufacturers seem hyper focused on small and lightweight pipes.

This S.Klein Design Lovat actually has a decently large bowl, I'd say it's almost ideal, but I will still go out of my way to buy Italian pipes because of the crazy shapes and variety you get over there (and because at this point I can open the draft of any pipe to the highest standards, so the shape of the Briar is really my only concern when shopping for pipes).

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
For whatever reason word never got out that Icarus branded pipes were well above average quality and now it seems Briarworks has resigned to just making more ordinary pipes under the "Moonshine" and "Classic" labels.
Todd Johnson rubbed some people up the wrong way by making some strong statements about other American production pipe makers I think. It didn’t faze me. I bought one of their handmade line when Neptune and Icarus were still the two lines that BriarWorks was putting out. I’m assuming one line was designed by Todd Johnson and the other by Adam Davidson.

The only pipe design I really like now is the Moonshine Pipes bent egg. I’ve got a smooth, but may add a sandblasted one to my collection as well at some point, I like it that much.

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
It might seem prudent to keep a good things to ourselves, but I've realized recently that this behavior is actually totally counter productive.
The pipemaking industry has capability and capacity to make an infinite amount of anything we want, any style of pipe of any design, but thus far it seems like no factory pipe manufacturer has ever tried to improve their pipe design because there has never been any competition within the industry based on the internal specifications of a pipe.

If demand for S. Klein Design pipes stays high, and if Scott's Pipes can expand to meet that demand, then the rest of the industry would eventually be forced to compete with the new standard and improvements in manufacturing quality would spread across the pipemaking industry like wildfire.

Or if people assume that these pipes will always remain scarce and hide its existence like buried treasure then the public at large will never discover how much better their regular factory pipes can and should be.
You're obviously right and of course my comment was made in jest. The more we can show that there is a demand and force competition, the better for the community.

This S.Klein Design Lovat actually has a decently large bowl, I'd say it's almost ideal, but I will still go out of my way to buy Italian pipes because of the crazy shapes and variety you get over there (and because at this point I can open the draft of any pipe to the highest standards, so the shape of the Briar is really my only concern when shopping for pipes).
I've seen you mention this before. If you can ever find the time, and if you dont mind, do u think u could post this process? I would like to try my hand at opening up some airways. TIA

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is one hell of a great review. If I were in the market for a pipe like that I would definitely support our guys meaning American. I only buy certain American artisan pipes because of how they are made and how they smoke. The Danes have nothing on many Americans.

Reactions: gamzultovah

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Big broad statement. Fact or opinion? Prove it.

Mar 1, 2014
Big broad statement. Fact or opinion? Prove it.
It's just a matter of buying different drill bits.
Absolutely nothing about the manufacturing process needs to change except choosing to drill a different size of hole.
Radice and Ashton using 3mm bore on $200+ pipes is shameful, but the price is irrelevant really, $20 pipes can be produced with a wide bore just as easily as $200 pipes.

It's just a matter of buying different drill bits.
Absolutely nothing about the manufacturing process needs to change except choosing to drill a different size of hole.
Radice and Ashton using 3mm bore on $200+ pipes is shameful.
You assume that everyone wants the same thing in the draw. I would probably just stop smoking of all pipes were constructed the same way with a wide open draw like those nasty ass corncobs.
Some of my favorite pipes are below 3mm drafts, some above 3mm. There is obviously more to constructing a pipe than just making all of the drafts the same size. And, there are more pipe smokers with different sets of criteria. You like what you like, so keep looking for that.
It's just ridiculous that you pose this post as if you know more than the pipe makers. Thank god, the pipemakers use their own engineering of pipes knowledge.

Mar 1, 2014
You're obviously right and of course my comment was made in jest. The more we can show that there is a demand and force competition, the better for the community.

I've seen you mention this before. If you can ever find the time, and if you dont mind, do u think u could post this process? I would like to try my hand at opening up some airways. TIA
Using tapered bits to drill a stem makes the process infinitely easier, these won't walk off center like a regular drill bit will.

Make sure to buy both a 9/64" (3.5mm) and 5/32" (4mm) bit and always start with the narrow bit.

Go slow and only drill half an inch at a time to constantly remove shavings from the airway while drilling, if you just go for it in one shot the stem will get HOT and it can actually fuse all the shavings together with the drillbit inside the stem.

I highly recommend getting a straight Lovat or Canadian style pipe to try first, when there's only about 2" of airway in total that makes it relatively quick and easy.

Use these to widen the slot.

Right now I'm just using a set of jeweler's saw blades ( https://www.amazon.com/Pike-Swiss-Brand-Jewelers-Sawblades/dp/B01N1TJO75 ) but I assume the variety sold by Vermont Freehand is better.

If you want to open the airway on a pipe with a bent stem then you have to straighten the stem with a hot air gun first, in my experience just heating up a stem is the most dangerous part of this whole process, it's easy to scorch the finish.
Constantly move the heat gun up and down while rotating the stem, it's a lot of work, after about five minutes when the stem gets hot enough it will mostly straighten itself, thankfully these materials have some memory and are all originally manufactured straight.

Some stems can be put in the oven at 240 Fahrenheit, but if the tenon is thin or glued in then you'd likely lose fit with the shank.