PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Title corrected for capitals. See Rule 9.

Hey all, I’ve been researching in an attempt to get to the bottom of plume/bloom/crystals/white powdery substance on tobacco. There may be many opinions but what is the science behind it? I came across this statement and am wonder if it is scientifically factual?

“It’s actually not sugar crystals as commonly believed—taste it and you’ll see it’s not sweet at all. It’s primarily potassium nitrate and ammonium chloride—which are salts. Aged tobacco tastes sweeter and loses those raw volatile ammonia flavors young tobacco has. It’s partly because of those things precipitating out/breaking down and also some continued fermentation.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Understandable, many opinions. Truth is there is a science to this and I’m wondering if anyone has the facts.
I am sure that there must be some science behind whether it is mold, ploom, salt, whatever. I would also assume you are a resourceful person and that your time would be better spent on actually tracking the aforementioned scientific information down over posting anything here. This is a hotly debated topic amongst pipe and cigar enthusiasts and you are not going to get any kind of information that could be considered unbiased here.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
I am sure that there must be some science behind whether it is mold, ploom, salt, whatever. I would also assume you are a resourceful person and that your time would be better spent on actually tracking the aforementioned scientific information down over posting anything here. This is a hotly debated topic amongst pipe and cigar enthusiasts and you are not going to get any kind of information that could be considered unbiased here.
Or someone here possibly has the data or link to the data to share the science which saves me time researching. Takes me seconds to post this. If you don’t like seeing the topic feel free to move on.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Or someone here possibly has the data or link to the data to share the science which saves me time researching. Takes me seconds to post this. If you don’t like seeing the topic feel free to move on.
Why all the hostility? And why assume I don't like the topic? I just pointed out that you are asking a biased group of individuals to give you the information that you want to either prove or disprove your topic.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everything would be great until proving what you have on your tobacco is plume or mold. Some test kit would be nice. I can tell mold from plume, but how can we be sure? Recently seen number of post on mold ID. I like most smokers avoid smoking mold.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
In my 3 decades on line, I've not seen anything remotely authoritative or detailed. The closest is a Friends of Habanos forum thread that discusses some studies for which they paid a lab in Australia. Their samples included pipe tobacco. Supposedly, they found only mold and bacteria. For whatever reason, they chose not to post or link the actual reports from the lab. FOH Mould Study - https://www.fohcigars.com/forum/topic/131757-foh-mould-study/. Or maybe I just can't find it. If you can, please link it.

Everything else is guesswork, some more informed than others.

Last edited:

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Hey all, I’ve been researching in an attempt to get to the bottom of plume/bloom/crystals/white powdery substance on tobacco. There may be many opinions but what is the science behind it? I came across this statement and am wonder if it is scientifically factual?

“It’s actually not sugar crystals as commonly believed—taste it and you’ll see it’s not sweet at all. It’s primarily potassium nitrate and ammonium chloride—which are salts. Aged tobacco tastes sweeter and loses those raw volatile ammonia flavors young tobacco has. It’s partly because of those things precipitating out/breaking down and also some continued fermentation.”
Source? If this is true, the proof ain't exactly rocket science. (I speak as an expert, having taken chemistry in high school.)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Probably. I've been knocked down by the ammonia smell in tobacco barns as the hanging tobacco is off gassing it.
yeah. I never experienced that but freshly ground nasal snuff does the same thing. It's the best and worst when you get that. You know it's fresh and you know you want to air it out first. On snuff forums the newbie question that comes up too often is did someones cat piss in my snuff.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
The crystals that appear on aging tobaccos are more likely something that is soluble within a narrow pH range. These crystals are not very soluble in water. As the tobacco ages, the pH changes, and some things that had previously been in solution may, and apparently do, precipitate out. But, from some very preliminary testing, it is almost certainly not sugar.

G.L. Pease, 2003-10-01