PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You don't get to choose how people stereotype you.
I understand your point, But.... resistance is not futile.

I disagree: You do get to choose because you don't have to be quiet and take it. Living in SoCal, I've watched with interest as minority communities, the gay and trans specifically, rewrote the book on how they are stereotyped.

Lesson 1: Take the most negative aspects of the stereotype and rub it in the faces of the community at large.

Lesson 2: Require them to acknowledge language that references those stereotype in legal documents and the public speech forum.

Lesson 3: Do so to the point of humiliation to any group that previously oppressed you.

The lessons go on, but the truth is that any one person, group, or people have the power to resist and resistance does not always come from the barrel of a gun.

If I were to passively sit back and allow people to stereotype me as they wished, you would be right. But, I have made a point of making those who would stereotype me so appalled and sick of my reactions, specifically, ridiculing them with their very own stereotype that most almost always capitulate and give up.

If enough people join in, you get a movement. If the movement persists, it prevails, and while in local bars and watering holes some things will always be said, publicly they will be silenced and with silence comes their humiliation.

But this is not the point of this thread. Although I am by legal documents a Pacific Islander for the last 50 some odd years, I do not refer to myself that way unless someone assumes otherwise.

Having traveled to over 1/5th of the worlds countries, adopting and supporting children from Latin America, as well as hosting families from other nations to live in my home, I consider myself an international citizen with a US Passport.

My identity belongs to me and no one, even a lovable Alabama tobacco grower, can impose on me any identity I do not relate to.

Which is why it is laughable when anyone tries.

Sure, label me. That's the label you (not you specifically) have attached. The label I attach is one of an autonomous sentient individual who pretty much does as he/she/boop wishes. Within the reason of my financial empowerment of course.

Lastly, I belong to a MC. Okay, not so kosher among many people, but for what its worth to anyone who believes they have the power to impose a stereotype on anyone they please, I offer $500 to any taker to freely go up to a member of the club and spout their stereotype of that person to them - face to face.

Of course, I recuse myself of what will happen next. LOL

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Status
Not open for further replies.