PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What I love most about this forum is I learn something new about pipes every day here.

I recently bought this Large Billiard from a French seller, and the wrapper arrived with my $7 pipe all stamped with six dollars worth of French postage markers. Don’t tell me there aren’t bargains left in this sin cussed world today when such a beautiful, big, nice briar pipe costs only $13. Ward Cleaver probably paid nearly that in his money for exactly this pipe.:)

DB24D331-31C5-416A-992E-D07904DA0EF9.jpeg02D0E1B1-5D53-4E18-A4D1-31BB6400908B.jpegC143DBB9-09FD-46AD-88D6-E237B23EF566.jpeg
I’ve spent over an hour, closer to two hours, and a bunch of pipe cleaners cleaning this Dad shaped Billiard up.It was heavily caked, and someday I’ll get a pipe cleaner soaked in Everclear to come out white through the shank but not yet, and I’ve used maybe forty pipe cleaners.

It loves English tobaccos, and while I think it is possible to smoke the goodie out of a briar pipe, this one is a cool, dry, zesty and delicious smoker using Sutliff Heavy English.

There are no fills on this pipe, nor one marking anywhere. It is as a generic example of a large billiard that was ever made.

Can a pipe maker give me two estimates of how long it took to make?

What if this pipe was made in a big pipe factory, say in France, but with full use of modern machines and methods.

And what if an expert carver set down at his bench and made a large smooth billiard with a hand cut vulcanite stem?

No fills or fancy finishes allowed.

Just a basic Ward Cleaver pipe.

I’m curious to know.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There are so many extraneous variables involved I would imagine it’s difficult to say. While it is less material for a lathe to remove, it is certainly more handwork on the stem and sanding.

🤷‍♂️

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There are so many extraneous variables involved I would imagine it’s difficult to say. While it is less material for a lathe to remove, it is certainly more handwork on the stem and sanding.

🤷‍♂️
On eBay there are rough turned but stemmed briar pipes for $10.

The worker running the machines in the factory that makes blank pipes is making several an hour. And there surely has to be some hand work in fitting the stem.

An artisan maker at his bench is making exactly the same product, a six inch large billiard with a three inch tapered stem.

And the artisan isn’t using a pocket knife to shape it. He has some power tools, too.

On the final finish is probably where the time difference is.

I hope somebody knows, that can shed more light on the extra time it takes for a work of art that smokes and a good sturdy pipe.