PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Folks:
I need some scales. Something digital that would read out both grams & ounces and, just as importantly, not break the bank.
These scales would probably be used a half dozen times a year or less so a Harbor Freight version - Made in the People's Freedom Loving Democratic Republic of Mainland China would be more than adequate.
Any recommendations?
Cheers.
Fnord

What will you be weighing? Gold and silver? Tobacco? What you are weighing is important, because of the size of the scales. Also, how important is accuracy? I find that the cheaper the scales, the more likely they will be wrong by a few grams, give or take.

For tobacco, and not needing 100% accuracy, try food scales that you can find at the grocery store. If it is something small like metals, get good ones at a place like Riogrande.com
Hope that helps

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
go over to Amazon and search for digital kitchen scales you can get very accurate scales for well under $20.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have been taking all of my pipes into our restaurants to weigh them on our digital scales (I like to see the weight in grams). That was getting old, and I think the managers thought I was kind of weird....
So, a few weeks ago, I picked up one of these at Bed, Bath & Beyond. $19.99 but with a coupon they seem to have in nearly every Sunday paper, it was $15. It is just as accurate as our restaurant scales.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/153297-the-biggest-loser-6-6-lb-digital-kitchen-scale.html
Taylor makes lot of restautant equipment, thermometers, timers, etc.
31286441706213p%5Fis

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Brother Fnord. Amazon is definitely where you'll want to head to find the scales of your dreams. I am frequently buying scales for my coffee gig, and want to throw a couple tips into your jar with regards to considerations about your purchase.
So... questions to consider before buying:

- What is the maximum weight you're going to weigh out? All scales have a max threshold at which they will cease functioning. Make sure you're buying scales which are robust enough to do your job.

- How exact do you need your scales to be? There are some wonderful scales which will measure to a +/- of .1g (or repute to, anyway), but you pay for that level of refinement. Is a 1g tolerance good enough?

- How robust/sturdy do you need your scales to be? Are they going to bang around in a kitchen drawer? Will they reside on a pedestal in a pristine vacuum chamber? I've had scales like the Taylor one that Al posted that died after one short hop from the counter to the kitchen floor.
Have fun pally, good scales are wonderful.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_1_2_hso_sc_smartcategory_1?rh=n%3A678508011%2Ck%3Akitchen+scales&keywords=kitchen+scales&ie=UTF8&qid=1413548281&sr=8-2-acs
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bought a Orezi on Amazon, 15$, weighs up to 11 lbs, does ounces, grams, has a tare button that subtracts weight of container of material you are putting product in. Amazon is the place to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Which reminds me, why don't all online retailers give pipe weights? It's an annoyance not to know, to have to

guess, or to have to cross reference other web sites, is it not? Yes, good scales are a bargain. I like the old

mechanical kind, but they aren't as accurate... or don't seem as accurate.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Which reminds me, why don't all online retailers give pipe weights?
In the case of eBay vendors, I'm guessing that the answer is, "Because they don't know that pipe buyers want to know this information," or, "Because weighing and measuring all the different details of the pipe is time consuming and annoying." I hear you though. I want this information when I'm buying a pipe.
In the case of online stores for brick and mortar pipe shops, I think that the absence of this information is more a function of limited website functionality, webmaster skill, and maybe a dash of lassitude and sloth.
-- Pat

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I use a kitchen scale for measuring out food for calorie counters; something I am very thankful I don't have to do. I works really well and is very precise. Not quite on par with the stuff I used in chem lab, but it was usually your bad math that caused an explosion. :lol:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The weight of a pipe is a critical detail for my needs, perhaps more so than the shape or finish!
Most of these inexpensive scales will not survive any kind of drop nor will they survive if their weight limit is exceeded. We buy a heavy duty "Doran" scale for our restaurants, it weights in ounces or grams to 25 lbs and has no high-limit switch. You can stand on this scale, but it costs $300.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
"Doran" scale, not "Dorian" scale silly. ^^^^
Yes, I play the bass, could you tell?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guys:
This scale will be used for weighing tobaccos and pipe and will have to be dusted more than it is used. And, Patty, a 1g tolerance will be more than adequate for my modest needs. (BTW, thanks for the new pix of your princess. She's breathtaking.)
I appreciate all the input. Looks like Amazon or maybe even BB&B will be my shopping spots.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.