Scale Down a Pipe Shop To a Pipe Kiosk or Stand Or Table?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some years ago, as reported on Forums, there was a longstanding pipe stand in a London train station that regularly sold pipes and tobacco, mainly staffed by one man ... and I don't know, perhaps a part time substitute to maintain hours. He finally closed, to customer laments. I wonder if there are retirees or others who would find enjoyment and a modest profit running this kind of small business on a small scale, without all the complications of a storefront. The stand would have to have lockable cabinets and security coverage, as do all mall kiosks. Maybe one would go crazy from boredom and harassment by loitering layabouts. But it seems a sort of way in for a pipe wise person who has the knowhow and would enjoy the sociability. This could be done at a train or bus station, a mall or shopping center, an established flea market, or busy office building. Is this a fantasy business or nightmare brooding to hatch? Would I do it? Probably not; my life is busy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As small as the target audience is, the cost of licenses, various taxes (inventory, income, etc.), insurance, rent/lease, etc. I doubt such would be a paying operation. Now, a stall in a well placed, cheap, sales similar to that old church in London might have possibilities but, even Millville, Mr. Marshall, finally pulled the plug. And he was a keeper of lavatory key! Simply not enough foot traffic to pay for the stall I suspect and there was a lot of foot traffic, even on week days during the tourist season.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
But it seems a sort of way in for a pipe wise person who has the knowhow and would enjoy the sociability.
A pipe smoker who enjoys socializing? Does not compute Tom :)

I can see what you are picturing, but not in a mall or shopping center. I think maybe a craft fair or small market might be a better place for something like that.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
If I look at my own shopping behavior I would never ever ever open a physical store in any product. Even car dealerships are closing because people buy a car online or request a online test drive. Smoking inside tobacco stores is prohibited as from 1.1.2022 in The Netherlands, even when smoking lounge and physical shop are split by doors and walls, so the benefits to allow people to smoke their new bought product is also eliminated. So kiosk won't work. A tobacco truck would be a interesting concept, set it up at festivals and you might have a nice turnover if you get the permits right.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
What a lovely pipe dream!

The surge of younger pipe smokers has increased sales to some extent, but I feel that most has been from fear of looming fed regulations.

Location, location,location...would be the key and business would be better in Tobacco friendly state...if they even still exist?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The last time I visited the Bristol Renaissance Faire (3 years ago?) there was a tobacconist and pipe fitter, Danny Boy Pipes, in the market area. The shop was packed with people checking out the pipes. They sold low quality pipes and some tobacco. I saw a few people buying pipes and tobacco.

Now if a person was retired and enjoyed traveling around the country to all of the Ren Faires, they may do okay.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
There’s not a place in the world with enough traffic of pipesmokers to turn a profit.
I suspect you are correct. My local tobacconists probably makes money on cigars and bulk tobacco. He had a Peterson/Savinelli event on Friday and I didn't want to bother. It is much more convenient to shop on line.

Reactions: BROBS
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The last time I visited the Bristol Renaissance Faire (3 years ago?) there was a tobacconist and pipe fitter, Danny Boy Pipes, in the market area. The shop was packed with people checking out the pipes. They sold low quality pipes and some tobacco. I saw a few people buying pipes and tobacco.

Now if a person was retired and enjoyed traveling around the country to all of the Ren Faires, they may do okay.
At the Michigan Renaissance Festival, a few "kiosks" sell cigars and seem to do decent. After all, if you forget your smokes and see others enjoying, why not purchase a stick?

An actual table or "store front" could get pricey. They have to rent booths and after speaking with a few vendors, it's all about location even within the festival. Not all areas get volume foot traffic and a massage "parlor" was upset when another vendor got their typical location first.

For reference, the Michigan festival is a small, isolated "town" with some permanent buildings and store fronts that get filled differently each year. There are also open fields with table stands and kiosks for face painting and henna or hair braiding.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
How about a knowledgeable pipe smoker paying rent to an established Cigar Lounge for a small sales space within that business?

Sounds like a Win-Win. The Cigar Lounge owner gains additional income while improving his offering to a wider genre. Could go a long way to introducing pipe smoking to the younger generation that is just dabbling in cigars.

This could revive pipe smoking.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
How about a knowledgeable pipe smoker paying rent to an established Cigar Lounge for a small sales space within that business?

Sounds like a Win-Win. The Cigar Lounge owner gains additional income while improving his offering to a wider genre. Could go a long way to introducing pipe smoking to the younger generation that is just dabbling in cigars.

This could revive pipe smoking.
Not a bad idea, really.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some years ago, as reported on Forums, there was a longstanding pipe stand in a London train station that regularly sold pipes and tobacco, mainly staffed by one man ... and I don't know, perhaps a part time substitute to maintain hours.
<< Snipped bits out >>
Would I do it? Probably not; my life is busy.
Would you, should you? YES!!

In fact, Tom, it looks as if you are actually volunteering!

:col:

John

:sher:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even for pipe shops right now, the smoking issue is an obstacle. I think my local independent pipe shop has a grandfathered deal, plus a pencil note on the front door saying that if you enter, you may encounter pipe smoke. So a mall or regular commercial area may be out, most places. Even a flea market might raise objections if customers complained. As with independent pipe shops, a lot of the success depends on sociable owners who love to talk and are agreeable to most customers, and it helps if they have pipe and cigar knowledge. I guess it would have to be a "marriage made in heaven," in terms of just the right place, the right foot traffic, and the right owner personality. The owner would have to have some show biz in his or her blood. Some people just draw in listeners by speaking. It's a gift. But those people may be channeled into real estate or high end vehicles. And of course the business licenses, leases, permits, and blah-blah, might dissuade most at the beginning.