PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Just noticed Savinelli's 2021 collection on their website and got all excited:

I ended up really disappointed though, as they were all either too modern or cheap-looking for my taste.

What are your thoughts? puffy

One Savinelli pipe that did catch my interest is a John Aylesbury 2021 special version available on the German market:
p_8714_Savinelli_Speranza_111.jpg

The price of around 216$ is a bit too steep for a "regular" Savinelli though... shame!

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just noticed Savinelli's 2021 collection on their website and got all excited:

I ended up really disappointed though, as they were all either too modern or cheap-looking for my taste.

What are your thoughts? puffy

One Savinelli pipe that did catch my interest is a John Aylesbury 2021 special version available on the German market:
View attachment 59614

The price of around 216$ is a bit too steep for a "regular" Savinelli though... shame!
Most savinellis unless you get into the real expensive range look like toys. And most have that damned cavity for a filter that very few actually want.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Ha Ha: camouflage pattern on the stem! Actually on second thought: paired with a light natural colour I might even be tempted. Not sure Brobs what you mean by "look like toys"? Unlike this 2021 collection, they have a lot of classic lines that look very serious (for lack of a better word). Anyway: for me Savinelli's are always worth considering: I am looking for 9mm filter options, readily available in Europe, good quality and classic shapes in good quality for a reasonable price.

Reactions: Casual and Ryszard

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I thought the same thing!

I'm also generally a fan of Savinelli's rustications, particularly the "Oscar Tiger" line is a personal favourite.
The colour on the "Bacco Rusticated" is just not really my cup of tea, but that's just my personal preference.

Ha Ha: camouflage pattern on the stem! Actually on second thought: paired with a light natural colour I might even be tempted. Not sure Brobs what you mean by "look like toys"? Unlike this 2021 collection, they have a lot of classic lines that look very serious (for lack of a better word). Anyway: for me Savinelli's are always worth considering: I am looking for 9mm filter options, readily available in Europe, good quality and classic shapes in good quality for a reasonable price.

I agree with this 100%. I think they offer fairly good factory pipes with decent enough quality control considering the cheap price tag of around 80$ for most of their standard models. It's true that almost all of their pipes are filtered, though they smoke without a filter just fine and they do mostly produce for the European market after all? I think they have a pretty wide selection from rather classic to modern-looking models too, so I can't say I share the sentiment about most of them looking like toys. I'd go as far as saying most of their pipes look and smoke way more expensive than they actually are. Almost all of my Savinelli pipes are excellent smokers and have exceeded their money's worth by far. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be disrespectful towards Brob's opinion here... I'm just saying that Savinelli offers excellent everyday pipes that you can literally take just anywhere for a decent smoke without ever worrying about losing/ruining your 2k$ artisan pipes. It's just not the same thing.

Last edited:

mintdragon

Lurker
Apr 1, 2019
Most savinellis unless you get into the real expensive range look like toys. And most have that damned cavity for a filter that very few actually want.
Everyone has their tastes for sure. They do have an included plug that shortens 6mm or 9mm cavities down to 3mm for those that prefer non-filter pipes. Regarding the lineup, I prefer a more conservative/classic style pipe, so the Bacco or "Collection 2021" are more in my interest range.

Ordered a 670KS Bacco (bent billiard) a few weeks ago, and it's a great 606KS older brother, great quality and classic styling (in my opinion) for $150. I get it if that is expensive for you friend, but reasonable for other Savinelli pipes I've purchased in the past.

But for sure agree with you that this year's releases are not super exciting as a group. Colorful stems, nude (no) finish, camouflage stems wasn't what I was hoping for.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
All the Bacco line looks good to my eyes, don't like the other lines at all.

I have 2 Savinellis, a 103 and a 626, both smoke extremely well. In fact the 103 is my first ever pipe, still smoke it a few times per week, with stellar results every time. They're both made to take filters but I use them without, and without the insert they provide.

Would pay for a new Sav at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.