PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Maybe this is a stupid question. And I'm sure very very subjective but.
I've never really had any interest in Briar pipes?‍♂️
Nor have I seen very many that strummed my heart strings. Yet.
Today still trying to decide between the 3 Meerschaums I like. I noticed not one but two Briars that were just instant love.
Having never had an issue finding Just to many Meerschaum options I loved yet having never found a briar.
I figured I better jump on this puppy love moment and give Briar a chance.
Only I don't know a dang thing about brands nor ever made an attempt to find out.
Don't want to get a poor sub quality pipe just cause I like the looks. Figured y'all could probably help.
Based on nothing more than build and smoking quality who makes the better pipe Savinelli or Peterson?
Not really interested in which you think is more visually attractive as I find them both stunning including the gaudy red stem Peterson ?‍♂️
Just after information on quality.
The exact models I'm looking at are.

Savinelli: Marte Smooth (311 KS) (6mm) and​

Peterson: Dracula Smooth (03) Fishtail​

That's guys.

Attachments

• 002-029-69124.5356.jpg
    002-029-69124.5356.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 002-033-56834.5951.jpg
    002-033-56834.5951.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 16

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I buy pipes for their looks rather than their smokeability. I presume (and I know we shouldn't) that if you buy one of the higher end models, they should smoke OK, so I usually don't let that influence me much.

I have 2 Savinellis (a silver-banded 616 and a gold banded Giubileo Doro) which I really like, and quite a few more Petes. I love the "heft" of the Pete Bulldogs and 03 shape (I have a Short 03 and a SH blasted Lestrade - XL03). Did I mention the silver work on the Petes ? ?

My bent Petes (even the slightly bent ones) do not pass a cleaner, which used to bother me. But I'm happy to put up with that petty annoyance just because I like the look of the pipes so much.

Reactions: RonB and HopHand
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
From experience, Savinelli workmanship is consistently better than Peterson's. Straight,concentric drillings,metal work..............?
I would like To add that Peterson's workmanship was better in the early 80s,and started to fall off in the late 90s.And yes,I do own a few Peterson pipes,but they are my traveling pipes,so if they get crushed or confiscated during an airport mishap,I 'm not heartbroken.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Peterson Rathbone has excellent fit and finish but there is a tiny bit of stain just inside the top of the rim of the shank but inside the "joint". Never thought about it until I saw this thread. Now I've done some reading and am a little more educated about it. There is also stain on the inside tip of the shank of my Savinelli Bing's Favorite as well. It also is limited to the area where the tip of the stem fits. The only real difference is the little bit of stain on the Peterson looks a little sloppy like it ran in there, but there's hardly any, and the stain on the Savinelli looks intentional - it's uniform and just extends neatly down the inside but no further than where the end of the stem fits. It looks nicer in that regard I guess and I like that it carries the stain of the pipe to the inside when you look at it. The inside of both of the bowls came black and no real difference there. Just my very limited experience.

I'll be reading up a little more on quality control! I got the Peterson for the Sherlock Holmes connection and really haven't had the itch to get another to this point. But . . . . I've been inspired again to go down the road of a commission with 1920s era Petersons as kind of an inspiration so I know on that (or those, lol) quality control will be superb.

OP - if you like each of the styles maybe find a nice, refurbished estate in each and for maybe not much more than the cost of one see how you like both?!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I own several of both but if I had to chose I would go with Savinelli. It probably has something to do with Savinelli being the first brand of pipes that I bought. I don't think you could go wrong picking between the two.

Reactions: HopHand

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Thank you everybody for the knowledge share.
I ended up getting the Savinelli (well an ever slightly so different one) this week but only because it won the coin toss ?‍♂️
If I don't instantly regret buying a briar I'll probably add that Dracula next week we'll assuming it's still available and I can't find the Dracula I really wanted on the used market.

Status
Not open for further replies.