PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here's a Savinelli that I bought unfinished, then sanded with MicroMesh all the way up to 12000. Next comes a buffing with carnuba.
2v2uNqyA5x3L6Bn.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
That one turned out quite nice. I waxed one some time ago and it didn't turn out as nice. I've thought about putting a stain on my unfinished 320. I have micromesh up to 12000 on hand. I may do that too. I'm assuming you started sanding at about 800 grit and worked up from there?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Started with the MicroMesh 1500 and ran through the entire set. I should have started at 220, there are still a few marks on it. But I sanded this at night in the car while I waited for my wife at a concert rehearsal, so I didn't see them. Oh well, it still looks wonderful!
I just bought a whole box of semi-completed pipes, so I'll have a bit more practice with this...
2v2uNqzK2x3L6Bn.jpg

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
So, they're like DIY pipes?
Michael - yep. I'm aware of 2 specific lines which Sav made as unfinished: Grezza (typically yellow lucite stems) and Series 3 (black lucite stems). Some of these have the Sav shield...some are actually unmarked.
I've thought about putting a stain on my unfinished 320.
Anthony, I'd like to see how it turns out if you do that. I have an unfinished 320 as well, and am thinking about doing a nice contrast stain.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love your wonderful dog. What a pooch! Beautiful job on the Sav unfinished pipe. Just to reassure others who may not know this -- you can do wonderful things by finishing an unfinished pipe, as woods' shows us. But you can just go ahead and smoke it, and enjoy watching it finish itself. Mine have turned a beautiful deep walnut stain color that glows and shines brighter with a little buffing. So feel free to take a hand in finishing your unfinished pipe...or not. Either way, they look great.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The plan was to leave this pipe unfinished. It does have the Savinelli shield stamped on it, although it's faint, and I was thinking it would be nice to watch the finish evolve. But here I was with a couple of hours to kill and a brand new pack of MicroMesh pads, so....
Now, if I don't wax it, then that can still happen. But the pipe was a little too rough for my taste and needed that extra smoothing anyways.

Jan 8, 2013
They are meant to patina over time, Cosmic. And it is fun watching it happen over time. The Nordings however have a crooks and crannies carved into them making the coloring process more interesting. The Save are totally smooth and not quite as fun I suppose. It's still worth watching though. I may just use this as an excuse to buy a new one. :D

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ha! That's Tula, named after the Russian city, of Tula Arsenal fame. I was thinking of giving her one of the unfinished smooth pipes, so that she could rusticate it for me.

That box, Woods, it is full of pipes that even have the stems unfinished. Are those all sold to be smoked like that? Or was that box a whole different deal?

I picked up a box of "turn of the century" frazed French bulldog Stummels years ago. But, they didn't have stems.

I don't recognize some of those shapes as typical Savinellis. Are those the unfinished Savinellis also?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
" I was thinking of giving her one of the unfinished smooth pipes, so that she could rusticate it for me."
My dog rusticated my cell-phone (which at the time was set to vibrate) after it walked off of my desk. So far as she is concerned, anything on the floor is fair game.
Luckily, like the proverbial Timex, it took a licking (and a chewing) but kept on ticking.
Incidentally, that pipe in your first image is lovely. Nice job, Sir!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Michael, the box-o-pipes is a different deal. Found them on facebook from an outfit called RnaTreasures. Cost me $10 each, and they gave me one for free. They are supposed to be old Italian briars, don't know from where. Stems are finished to the stummels, but that's it. I'll have to do the finished work on them. Some of the pipes are almost ready to smoke, some need a good bit of smoothing. The grain is nice on the couple that I've dampened, no big fills.
"My dog rusticated my cell-phone"

Hunter, same here. A iPhone 3g, about 7 years ago. I replaced the screen all by myself. Those are some tiny-assed screws.

Thanks, I am less confused now. All in all, it looks like your having a blast. I have had fun in the past changing some of my pipes and finishing those old bulldogs. It's like a way to make them more yours.
You know, Dunhill puts those dots in deep. If you try to scrape or sand them off, you ruin the damned thing. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Michael, I have an old Foredom flext-shaft setup. What's the best place to go for bits and bobs? I'm thinking some sanding drums and discs might be a good place to start. Also, I'm going to get some MicroMesh for the palm sander.
"You know, Dunhill puts those dots in deep. If you try to scrape or sand them off, you ruin the damned thing. "
I'm going to put TWO white dots on mine, just because that will make them better than a Dunghill.

Ha ha... I would think Amazon would have a great selection of bits and burs. I use Rio Grande for all of my tools, but those are going to be mostly metalsmithing tools. We have a Woodcraft store down the road from me. But their online prices are better than their in-store prices. And, I believe that their products are also on Amazon.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, Michael.

Check out the pipes from RnaTreasures. I'd love to see one bejeweled bedazzled, shazzamed and shazizzled.

Maybe chrome and rhinestones? Or hose one down with Super 90 and roll it in crushed turquoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.