PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
I have a couple Savinelli Series III pipes. They are all great inexpensive smokers and fun to customize.
The Panel Billiard was my very first pipe. I sanded it smooth with some 600 grit and smoked it. The color is natural darkening.
The 707 I sanded smooth and Dyed with Eco-Flo Red leather dye - I left the rim un-dyed. After a few months smoking this one, I decided to try drilling the stem to accept a 6mm filter. I started with a small drill bit and slowly worked my way up to the finished size. The Vulcanite drills very easy.
2.jpg
6.jpg

Today I just received my latest Series III in the mail - A 315 KS w/ 9mm Filter from The Pipe Nook. Eddie was great to deal with.
While I was waiting for the pipe to be delivered (fairly long delay from USPS), I took the time to make my own Rusticating tool. This is sharpened nails fit in a large Lug Nut. I used epoxy putty to secure the nails inside. I practiced a bit on a few pieces of wood I had laying around.
315-1.jpg
Once I received the pipe, I hoped for the best and started gouging the Briar. I sanded a small flat on the bottom so the Pipe sits well. This is all for fun - I was not sure how it would turn out, but figured I really couldn't ruin it too bad. I also picked up some Fiebings Leather Dye in Navy Blue.
The Blue is pretty intense. The pictures show highlights that don't seem to stand out in person. I like it, but may still play around with the color (sanding some and trying to lighten/dilute the dye). I didn't have too high an expectation. Just wanted to experiment and try something different.
My first smoke is some C&D Sansepolcro bought at the same time from the Pipe Nook. After my first smoke I can say this pipe smokes Great! I really like the 315 KS shape and bowl dimensions 0.82" ID, 1.22" depth.
The pictures can tell the rest:
315-2.jpg
315-3.jpg
315-4.jpg
315-5.jpg
315-6.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have a couple Savinelli Series III pipes. They are all great inexpensive smokers and fun to customize.
The Panel Billiard was my very first pipe. I sanded it smooth with some 600 grit and smoked it. The color is natural darkening.
The 707 I sanded smooth and Dyed with Eco-Flo Red leather dye - I left the rim un-dyed. After a few months smoking this one, I decided to try drilling the stem to accept a 6mm filter. I started with a small drill bit and slowly worked my way up to the finished size. The Vulcanite drills very easy.
View attachment 67861
View attachment 67862

Today I just received my latest Series III in the mail - A 315 KS w/ 9mm Filter from The Pipe Nook. Eddie was great to deal with.
While I was waiting for the pipe to be delivered (fairly long delay from USPS), I took the time to make my own Rusticating tool. This is sharpened nails fit in a large Lug Nut. I used epoxy putty to secure the nails inside. I practiced a bit on a few pieces of wood I had laying around.
View attachment 67863
Once I received the pipe, I hoped for the best and started gouging the Briar. I sanded a small flat on the bottom so the Pipe sits well. This is all for fun - I was not sure how it would turn out, but figured I really couldn't ruin it too bad. I also picked up some Fiebings Leather Dye in Navy Blue.
The Blue is pretty intense. The pictures show highlights that don't seem to stand out in person. I like it, but may still play around with the color (sanding some and trying to lighten/dilute the dye). I didn't have too high an expectation. Just wanted to experiment and try something different.
My first smoke is some C&D Sansepolcro bought at the same time from the Pipe Nook. After my first smoke I can say this pipe smokes Great! I really like the 315 KS shape and bowl dimensions 0.82" ID, 1.22" depth.
The pictures can tell the rest:
View attachment 67864
View attachment 67865
View attachment 67866
View attachment 67867
View attachment 67868
Love the finish on that 315!

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
That really looks good. Are you going to wax it shiny?

also, did you wet the briar or go at it dry?
I didn't really consider wax/polish, but now you got me thinking about it...

I did not wet the briar - bone dry rustication. I went into this a bit blind other than a few YouTube vids. Do people typically wet the briar first?

Reactions: ofafeather

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I didn't really consider wax/polish, but now you got me thinking about it...

I did not wet the briar - bone dry rustication. I went into this a bit blind other than a few YouTube vids. Do people typically wet the briar first?
Oh, I have no idea. Never done one. But you have me thinking about it.

It seems like wetting the wood would soften it for easier rustication. But, it may cause other issues.

Reactions: ofafeather

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Oh, I have no idea. Never done one. But you have me thinking about it.

It seems like wetting the wood would soften it for easier rustication. But, it may cause other issues.
It gouges pretty easily as is. You do have to work the sections, but that is a good thing - you don't want to remove too much material. After I used the rustication tool, I brushed it with a wire brush, then hit it lightly with some sandpaper to knock down the peaks a bit.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
That's a fantastic result!
Your project gave me inpiration to try my own: I bought an unfinished Savinelli billiard (they are not so easy to find anymorre...) and set to work. Here's the outcome:

I'm quite happy with the final result...
That is awesome and your pipe came out great! Once you make that first gouge and realize there is no turning back, it just flows.
Let's see a shot of your rustication tool? What did you use for dye?

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
The rustication tool I ysed is just a few sharpened nails glued together with some scrap piece of wood.
The dye is black alcohol based aniline:
IMG_20210327_204602.jpg
I applied five or six coats with a pipe cleaner then I brushed with a dremel tool equipped with brass brush: this gave the wood some shine. The next step was to wax it with carnauba wax, I used some plastic brushes for applying and polishing:
IMG_20210327_210139.jpg
A couple years ago I did another unfinished Savinelli and I used a drill bit for the rustication: the result is somewhat different, here's what it looks like:
grezza.jpg