PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I've been looking at Savs on sp.com abunch and I really like many of their styles (and prices!) However, I do not want a filter pipe. Smoked with a filter for a few puffs years ago, didn't like it, never again. So, who smokes 'em w/out the filter? Do you use the adapter/is it necessary? Does the adapter mess w/ cleaning? Any other Q's I should be asking?

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I just use an adapter in place of the filter. And sometimes I take out that for a more open draw. No problems at all. Just a solid smoking pipe for a great price.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup a Sav is good. You can use a balsa wood filter or not. You can use a 2 inch piece of pipe cleaner doubled over in place of a filter. And yes, you can smoke it without a filter. The adaptor is a great invention. No problem for the cleanup either. All it is, is just a piece that fits into the stem to reduce the diameter. I prefer them because I just don't like the wide open draw without it.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Excellent choice, you're going to love it.
FYI, Savinelli convertible pipes come with an adapter. They are typically cut smoother on one end than they are on the other, I stick the smoother end into the stem towards the mouthpiece because they seem to pass a cleaner easier that way. You'll see what I mean when yours comes in.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
My initial foray into pipe smoking included a few filtered pipes. One even and an adaptor. It did not take me long to stop using filters, and I found the adapter complicated my cleaning enough times that I eventually lost it. I have four "filter" pipes in my rotation that are used with no filter and no adapter. The only adjustment I make is that I use a moist q tip to swab the are where the filter would have sat. I so this as part of my after smoke cleaning, but I have also found no problem with make in it a part of the "deeper" cleaning cycle. It just means a little more time will be spent "de-gunking" that area.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My Sav 2320 comes with balsa filters...they are still in the box. Never used, but I use the adaptor without any real cleaning issues.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've owned several Savinellis and I've never once bothered with the filter or adapter. My pipes always smoked fine. I know they recommend the adapter but it didn't seem to make any difference in my experience. One less piece to worry about cleaning.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Good to know, the only sav I've had personal dealings with has been with a buddy of mine who is admittedly far from a pipe authority. He said it was unsmokable w/out the filter. He also bought the pipe IN PERSON, and got home not knowing there was a filter inside! ALWAYS take a pipe apart before buying it :!:
Anyway, glad to see many of you disagree with him, so I think I'll be adding these to my Christmas List.
Choice 1
Choice 2
Choice 3
Choice 4

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Just bought a new Savinelli and have been smoking it sans filter and adapter with absolutley no problems.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I got an alligator sav and love it. I started with the balsa filter and it was funky. I got a dr grabow paper filter from my brother and cut it to length it was even worse. now I only use the adapter. Its just a piece of plastic or maybe vulcanite. My only fear is it might get hot and warp or start to melt if an ember gets into the shank. I was looking at the Nonpareil for my self when i saw the alligator pipe for 46 bucks. It just wasn't in the budget this time. I realy want a storient meer for my next pipe.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I only use the adapter in my Savanelli Bings favorite because of the thin shank wall. Having the adapter allows a pipe cleaner to pass easily and not have to pull the stem for a quick clean after each smoke. This is admittedly an inherent weakness of the pipes design but I love this pipe.
Other filter pipes I own, including Sav's, go completely without filters and do all require a little extra work to clean the area where the filter is meant to be, that area acts as a trap so what's the difference whether you have to clean the adapter or the area it sits in?
If you like that particular pipe you just put up with the extra cleaning or use the filters and put up with tobacco juice on your fingers.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Not to stray from the subject of filters (to far anyway). A friend of mine seemed mystified that I really enjoyed pipe smoking and then told me he had bought a pipe but just couldn't stand the taste of it. On a little further investigation he didn't know it had a filter and had smoked it three days with the original filter in it. :oops:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have two Savinellis. Right now I am smoking them with just the adapter in. The draw is really good on both of them. I've used the filters as well, and I don't notice a major difference with or without the filter. It's worth it to give a filtered pipe at least one smoke to see what it's like.

Status
Not open for further replies.