PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
for some time, I've admired a few Savinelli pipes on SmokingPipes.com, particularly the Punto Oro models, and just wondered what y'all's experience with these pipes is. Yes, I know the Savinelli history, and really like the classic shapes - well, a few of them (I'm an old fuddy-duddy about pipe shapes), but to be honest, I've never tried a Savinelli. Spend the $'s?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can find some great deals on the estate market. I collect Savinelli yachtsman 904/9004. All three of these are Punto Oros and the most expensive, also unsmoked, was $58. They are nice, but no better smokers than the rest of my yachtsman set.
20180903_224215.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
You called? :)
My pipe journey started a few years ago with a couple of Dunhills and a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro, then everything from cobs to an Axmacher custom. I settled on Savinelli exclusively and became a huge fan. They're the best value for the money, especially their pipes in the $150-$200 range.
My favorite pipes have been from the Monsieur, Spigot Sterling, and Fuoco lines. Punto Oro is also a great line that I would highly recommend. I don't care as much for their lower level lines like Roma, but there's nothing wrong with them. Tortuga is my favorite of the "lower" level lines. I have never run across a bad Savinelli pipe and I've owned 25 or so different ones.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Savinelli's wont steer you wrong. I have a couple lower grade Roma's and I find them excellent smokers.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have a Tortuga that I love. I also have a Qandale that I just got but haven't used yet. Both are beautiful looking pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Even their lower grade offerings are great smokers. This 614 was made as a house pipe for a B&M "The Humidor", and is a great little flake pipe.
20180903_230200.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chasing's being modest; his collection of 904's is (I believe) above thirty. Some of my own favorites include the 601 churchwarden in the avatar to the left, the 673 bulldog, the 315KS prince, and various unfinished pipes including a billiard, a bent Dublin, and a panel billiard, that go from a rather raw lumber look to a golden walnut glow over the years. If you pay more you'll get more in terms of finish, but you'll get good smokers at any level, in my opinion. I think I have about a dozen Savinelli's, maybe more.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Chasing's being modest; his collection of 904's is (I believe) above thirty.
Not quite yet, but the goal is thirty-one. :mrgreen: The three shown above are the only Punto Oros in my collection until this one arrives from Germany.
s-l400.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a couple Savinelli's...the Clark's Favorite and a Trevi 904KS. No complaints here...

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I only have two Savinelli's and the second of those was bought just last week. I have owned others in the past. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another. In my experience, and it is limited compared to many I admit but I think that for the money you pay for them it's hard to find a better pipe.
My friend is getting into smoking a pipe. I'm trying to get him off of cigarettes and so far he is really enjoying it and when it comes time for him to buy some briar I will be advising him to buy Sav. They are well made, well priced, many look good and they seem to come without the frustrations that you can end up dealing with some other names I shall omit.

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Totally a pipe worth the money. Started smoking pipes years ago and my first one was a sav Oscar Aries Canadian and I cannot say enough about their smokability. I have about 40 saves now and I would recommend if you have the money buy a ( I’m gonna probably mess this up) Mielie. Terrific smokers at really not that bad of a price.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I think the only person I've ever heard complain about Savinelli was Dean (peckinpahhombre).

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
Thanks everyone - I'm considering - doggone I shouldn't start another "line" to collect, but some of them I've seen are hard to resist! Now, if Sav. would make an ODA size straight squat bulldog w a straight taper stem.....

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Sav unfinished pipes are wonderful smokers!I have 4 of them(3 being 320 Authors) that I would put up against any briar out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.