Savinelli Punto Oro Gold, 6mm Adapter Doesn't Fit? Anyone else had this happen?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Just received a brand new Sav Punto Oro Gold Sandblast 110 from SP and it is gorgeous, but the 6mm adapter doesn't fit into the stem. Has this happened to anyone else?

It shipped with the balsa filter installed, which I promptly removed, but then the adapter does not fit into its place. I have used filter pipes with adapters before and I understand how they fit snugly. This one will not fit. I also bought a pack of 5 additional adapters with my purchase, and none of them fit either. Upon close inspection, all 6 of these adapters seem to flare outward a bit at both ends, likelt from the cutting process. They look like they are cut to length from a long rod, and where the cutter pressed down on them they flared outward in response.

I'm sure SP will obviously let me return the pipe, but ideally I'd like to keep it.
I may even prefer to smoke it without an adapter (and no filter), but I don't want to try because then I won't be able to return it.

The obvious answer is send it back, but I want to check in with you folks to see if this has happened to anyone here, or if there's anything I'm missing. I'm also thinking of filing down one of the adapters to fit.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Depending on how thin the adapter plastic is you may be able to just heat it up and press it back to shape. I haven't dug out one of my adapters to see if this theory could work, I always smoke filtered pipes without any adapter and it works fine for me.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
UPDATE: I fixed it with a file. Crisis averted!

Obviously the culprit was the $0.05 adapters and not the $200+ pipe. I had to work the adapter down to size with a file. The ends on all of the adapters were flared outward, making them too large to insert into the stem. I filed one end of one adapter down carefully and now I have a nice snug fit as it should be. Whew!

Sorry y'all! I was worried my fancy new Italian analog vape pen had a defective stem ?

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never used a filter or adaptor on either a 6mm or 9mm pipe and they both smoked great with out them. If you love the pipe screw both and just learn to pack your pipe more firmly. It is similar to owning a Castello where you have to pack the same way as their shank dimensions are pretty large.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I have never used a filter or adaptor on either a 6mm or 9mm pipe and they both smoked great with out them. If you love the pipe screw both and just learn to pack your pipe more firmly. It is similar to owning a Castello where you have to pack the same way as their shank dimensions are pretty large.

I hope to own a Castello one day. Good to know!

Reactions: gentlemancob