PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
Hello everyone. So I just had a bummer moment with the pipe I purchased to kick off 2022. I removed the stem from the stummel on my new Savinelli Porto Cervo to run a cleaner through it. When I went to put it back together, the mortise (I hope I identified that correctly) snapped off. The pipe was not hot, in fact it had not be used for about 2 days. I also did not force it into the stummel as it very easily snapped right off. To the best of my knowledge, it must have gone in at a slight angle to where it created enough pressure to snap off. Still, I'd argue it was insanely fragile.

My question is, does this fall under any kind of warranty? I purchased this pipe on 1/1/22.

If not, what are my chances of being able to repair this myself? If glue is to be applied, what glue would work best?

This is a total bummer as this was my favorite pipe so far...

Thanks in advance!image2.jpegimage0.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Wow, that’s really unfortunate! I would be devastated if that happened to any one of my pipes.

Not sure what it would take to repair it yourself but there are options for having it repaired by someone else (Walker Pipe Repair, Briarville, etc.). I’m sure one of these guys will be able to fix this without any issue.

Anyone know how often this kind of break happens and what the cause might be? Is it normally caused by the briar, the carver, the user, or some combination of these?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jlopez

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Hello everyone. So I just had a bummer moment with the pipe I purchased to kick off 2022. I removed the stem from the stummel on my new Savinelli Porto Cervo to run a cleaner through it. When I went to put it back together, the mortise (I hope I identified that correctly) snapped off. The pipe was not hot, in fact it had not be used for about 2 days. I also did not force it into the stummel as it very easily snapped right off. To the best of my knowledge, it must have gone in at a slight angle to where it created enough pressure to snap off. Still, I'd argue it was insanely fragile.

My question is, does this fall under any kind of warranty? I purchased this pipe on 1/1/22.

If not, what are my chances of being able to repair this myself? If glue is to be applied, what glue would work best?

Thanks in advance!View attachment 130476View attachment 130477
Hi, You haven't given sufficient information to answer the question: From whom did you buy it? B&M Store, Online Retailer, Authorized Savinelli Dealer etc. You ARE saying that it didn't make it 60 days (1/1/2022 to 2/22/22=52 days) under normal usage so that would indicate it wasn't fit for the purposes intended and may be a breach of the warranty. All consumer products have a limited warranty unless they are excluded as final sale, returned products etc. I would return it to the place you got it and demand a new one. If you can't do that because its mail order you need to send them a letter or email with a picture and demand money back or a new one. If not call or email Laudisi Group and file a complaint against retailer or notify Savinell Customer Service Directly. The problem isn't yours ... you just want the product you paid good money to get. But take action right away don't wait or you will be guilty of laches ... (delay resulting in estoppel preventing you from making an argument). Do it tomorrow and KEEP A RECORD (for future evidence). Good Luck. P.S. Do not attempt to have it repaired privately yet until you go through the steps to get a replacement or your money back. Savinelli is too big to stiff you on this especially as you will tell everyone here on this site.

But ... that's just my humble opinion. :sher:

Reactions: jlopez

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi, You haven't given sufficient information to answer the question: From whom did you buy it? B&M Store, Online Retailer, Authorized Savinelli Dealer etc. You ARE saying that it didn't make it 60 days (1/1/2022 to 2/22/22=52 days) under normal usage so that would indicate it wasn't fit for the purposes intended and may be a breach of the warranty. All consumer products have a limited warranty unless they are excluded as final sale, returned products etc. I would return it to the place you got it and demand a new one. If you can't do that because its mail order you need to send them a letter or email with a picture and demand money back or a new one. If not call or email Laudisi Group and file a complaint against retailer or notify Savinell Customer Service Directly. The problem isn't yours ... you just want the product you paid good money to get. But take action right away don't wait or you will be guilty of laches ... (delay resulting in estoppel preventing you from making an argument). Do it tomorrow and KEEP A RECORD (for future evidence). Good Luck. P.S. Do not attempt to have it repaired privately yet until you go through the steps to get a replacement or your money back. Savinelli is too big to stiff you on this especially as you will tell everyone here on this site.

the only thing I would add is most people would be happy to help you replace it. That's just a defect and mistakes and defects happen but a company can make a friend and keep a customer by replacing something like that. Most retailers would rather have a happy customer that feels good about buying a pipe from them then keeping the cash on one sale and lossing out on possibly more.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Thanks in advance!View attachment 130476View attachment 130477
P.S to my other reply. In looking that break and fracture that wood looks like its dry-rotted ... I've never seen it in pipes but it looks just like that in wooden furniture and other products. They may have sent you some old wood or the pipe was stored improperly before shipping to you.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I purchased this pipe from an online retailer (TP). I looked up their policy which states 30 days, but I have reached out to see if there is anything they can do for me. I also looked into Savinelli's website and they show 60 days for defects, however I did not purchase it from Savinelli directly.

I am not looking to get my money back from TP, honestly I would be perfectly happy with an exchange of the same product as I really only got to smoke out of it a handful of times.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I purchased this pipe from an online retailer (TP). I looked up their policy which states 30 days, but I have reached out to see if there is anything they can do for me. I also looked into Savinelli's website and they show 60 days for defects, however I did not purchase it from Savinelli directly.

I am not looking to get my money back from TP, honestly I would be perfectly happy with an exchange of the same product as I really only got to smoke out of it a handful of times.
Pursue it with TP anyway and if not satisfied notify Savinelli or send it bacck to Savinelli Directly with a letter and explanation of time frame. If Savinelli is 60 days its hard to believe Tp can limit it to 30 even under Florida Law (TP). But again you only have a week to put them on notice.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow. Such passion!

I don't see that it's a given that the retailer or manufacturer owes Mr. Lopez anything. And also, they might!

A band repair would seem to be normal. Also, glue might work, as the tenon goes way deeper in the mortise so there wouldn't be much pressure on the weak area.

I never leave a stem out for longer than I have to. As it dries out, it may bind on the dry wall of the mortise.

Let's give Mr. Lopez time to contact the seller before more posts.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Ask whoever you bought it from if they will replace it. If not go to a reputable repair place to get it done. I've seen George Dibos repair these kinds of things and the pipes look amazing. He uses a special glue. You can see his work on YouTube.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
Just wanted to provide an update. TP reached back out to me and sent me a return label for the damaged pipe. They mentioned this type of damage is not typically covered, but were willing to help me out. I will be getting store credit which I intend to buy another Port Cervo in a different shape, perhaps.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help. I am extremely happy to not be out additional money or paying for a repair.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Just wanted to provide an update. TP reached back out to me and sent me a return label for the damaged pipe. They mentioned this type of damage is not typically covered, but were willing to help me out. I will be getting store credit which I intend to buy another Port Cervo in a different shape, perhaps.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help. I am extremely happy to not be out additional money or paying for a repair.
Excellent ! Congratulations ! Now : Shopping excursion ! :)

Reactions: ofafeather